Help With Restoration Research Paper

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I am in need of some help picking a topic for a research paper that I need to write. My wife and I are toying with the idea of moving to Kansas next year so that she can attend grad. school (she's going to be a chemist) and I can attend the Automotive Restoration program at McPherson College right down the road. I don't know if you've heard anything about McPherson, but it has one of the best restoration programs in the country.

One of the admission requirements is for me to write a research paper on "any topic related to automotive restoration". The paper must be written in third person making me think that they don't really want you to write about a personal experience. The paper also requires three written sources NOT FROM THE INTERNET. I am coming up blank as to ideas for a topic that I could easily find a source for in book form. Everything these days is on the internet! So far, my only idea has been something related to the history of auto body work. Maybe concentrating on the technique of using lead or something. Anyone have any other ideas that can be easily sourced in book form? Maybe a book on a specific historically significant vehicle that was restored? Fire away guys, anything could help. I think a trip to the library is in order as well.

If it were me I'd do it on the the plating process. Chrome, Cadmium, and now Zinc which has widely replaced Cad due to enviro regs.

Should have no problem filling several pages just thinking off the top of my head. If you can find a reputable shop with a willing experienced owner/manager who will spend 15-20 minutes with you you'll get a ton of info.

I spent 10-15 minutes face to face with a local guy who had 25 years experience and never did I learn so much in such a short time.

Robert,

The sticky post at the front end of the "General" section of this forum ("Buick Owners Bookshelf") should be a good place to start for print references for a wide range of ideas for a restoration-related research paper. Don't forget the entire collection of "Buick Bugle" journals of the BCA for ideas and source material. Pete is probably an excellent reference resource.

It may seem like a daunting task to write a paper as a condition of application for admission but it is a sign of a quality institution. Did they ask you to follow a specific style manual for sources or citations? If so, go to Amazon and get a copy of that style manual and follow it to the letter. Speaking of Amazon, you can use their advanced book search function to look for copies of books that you made need to complete your research efforts. It used to be the old "bibliofind.com" engine. Now Amazon runs it.

Good luck with your work.

Dan

Robert,

The area of research I have always wanted to write about is The History of the Hobby. James Melton drove an antique car in the 1937 NYC Easter Parade and that kind of signaled the first recognition of the hobby. Post WWII many ex-GI's chipped in together to participate in high dollar hobbies; cars, air planes, and the like. A less discriminate collector base in the 1970's and the relatively wealthy Baby Boomers exploded the hobby.

It is a colorful story with people and machines, success and disappointment, a story someone could put some polish on.

I'm stealing time from a 3.5 million square foot building audit at the moment and plan to work another 30 years so I probably won't get to it It is some research worthy of an Old Car PHD (really piled higher and deeper).

Bernie

I would encourage you to find something that really interests you, as with a stronger passion and interest, the writing seems to go easier and te result is usually better. On the other hand, a good search can usually spark strongre interest. I do not have any specific suggestions but wish you well.

John

Search Amazon for books on body and rust repair, welding and fabrication of metals. Normally these are second hand books that are very inexpensive. Order and ship to your house. Or, really dig into engine rebuilding, decking and honing. etc. Perhaps look into automotive painting with different types of paint. I know in CA paints for cars are now water based for environmental reasons. Write about the changing environmental regulations as they pertain to automotive restoration. JZRV touched on that with the chroming material.

Other than the plating processes and environmental issues, the subject of "Automotive Refinishing Products" might be appropriate. I suspect that research might be reasonably easy, including means of application, and there should be a steady progression with advances in chemistry into the earlier 1980s, when "water borne" coatings were being used by GM. Reasons for basecoat/clearcoat systems might also be included, too, plus the many VOC issues (which might be an entire subject unto itself, including the federal regulations relating to it).

Pleas keep us posted on your progress.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest shadetree77

Thank you for all of the information, advice, and suggestions guys. Just what I was looking for. I will check into all of it. I do like Jason's suggestion of the chrome plating process. I could even go into the environmental aspects like many of you mentioned as well. I'll report back when I get down to the library. Might be a little while. I've been busy working on Lucy lately! Thanks again guys. It is much appreciated. Also, feel free to post any more suggestions you might have.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Writing in the third person consists of writing without the use of personal pronouns just as I, me, we or us. You are looking at what ever it is you're writing about but you're not part of the process. Instead of saying that "when I weld aluminum...." you'd say something like "When welding aluminum the welder.... he (she, him, her) ....." Writing in the third person is not personal. You're referring to another person, never yourself. It implies the information as a fact, not a personal opinion.

You might try doing a Bing or Google search to learn more and you can find examples of third person writing.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)