I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

I guess I should have said timeless instead of fresh.  Doesn't Indian make something like a Chief Vintage that looks a lot like the bikes built in the fifties?  Will that classic look of those vintage bikes ever go out of style?

17 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Some great bike and Buick photos Jason. Particularly like this one

Thanks Lamar, I was hoping folks wouldn't mind a motorcycle in the foreground once in awhile. I found a ton of old bike pics so have been trying to extract ones with Buicks. Probably found most of them but should be a couple more at least. I am not well versed on the older Buicks when just seeing a portion of car but am doing homework along the way. I like those old style pics. Especially ones with people in because they often have neat background detail that give me an glimpse of what life was like back then. 

• Like 4

True Jason, I think that is sort of the theme of why Dave started this thread, not only for the Buicks but of people and the way things use to be. For example in the 54 Buick Special convertible above. I can just imagine (and only imagine) how free spirited and happy those 30 somethings are, to be in that Malibu Blue Buick convertible on the street of that 40's neighborhood with closely mowed lawns and flower beds lining the driveway. You just have to stop and wonder who the car belonged to and who the guy in the back seat waving is.

The Sinclair/Buick/Motorcycle picture above is of interest to me because I collect some Sinclair stuff and the theme of my new garage is a 1920's Buick Sales and Service garage that also sells Sinclair gas, Quaker State oil and haven't made up my mind on tires yet. OK enough rambling, but thanks again for the great photos. Just curious where did you get them all.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Hmmm, a very strong resemblance to

P1010429_zpsdnrobnof.jpg

P1010431_zpspx6jngwf.jpg

I find it strange that anyone would swap out the original wheel covers for another make covers within the first year, is anyone familiar with the wheel covers on the convertible 

I was thinking the same thing.

It still does not seem right to think of the Landau without Bob.

These wheel covers have really got me wondering. Below is a '54 factory photo of what appears to be a style that Buick was considering for 54  and I thought maybe some had made it out the assembly line door but now I see they aren't that close to what is on the subject car. However the one on the car do certainly look like the ones sported by the Landau. 

imagejpeg

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Here is the link to Classic American Iron Motorcycle forum. Warning to all don't blame me if anyone gets in trouble at work or home because they can't stop looking through all these old pictures. :P

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?20548-Vintage-Pics-of-the-Day

Thanks Jason, certainly a cruise through the past there! 

On June 2, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Bleach said:

Lamar, the license plate says 1954.

Pasted Graphic.tiff

Thanks Bleach. The reason I was wondering was that I know that the Landaus wheel covers were stolen at some point after it had came off the show circuit, but that would have been after 1954/55. Was thinking perhaps we had found the thief :o

• Like 1

In 1954 and other years in that period, WHEEL covers were BIG.  Many of us wanted to make our car more NOTICEABLE, and wheel covers were a way of doing that, on the cheap.  

We also weren't into ORIGINAL purist feelings, at least all of those folks I knew weren't.

So to me it isn't a surprise that the FITTY FO owner changed the covers. 

The big wheel covers in the 50's were Olds, and Caddy covers, as were MOON DISC, and any that had a flipper on such. 

But who am I to know, I was to busy painting SCALLOPS, and kidding those with roof VISORS, hear me Ben,  

Dale in Indy

Then came the Dodge Lancers, still being repoed today.

These are the less popular three bars, but you get the idea.

Flames, spots, lake pipes.

54kustom.JPG

Scallops and Lancers, what could be more old skool?

Gary-niemie-1956-buick-recreation.jpgWhich color are the scallops?  Four bar Lancers. 

IMG_1843.JPG

fame059.jpg

The more popular four bar spinner Lancers

46acb67c71a7347ad79e58a065361c0c.jpg

Delmar-mccutcheon-1955-buick.jpg

Quote from the movie The Inlaws "Flames, my car has flames!"

buick-special-1954-13.jpg

Why is it that the lines of the mid-fifties Buicks lend themselves so easily to these subtle mods?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

These wheel covers have really got me wondering. Below is a '54 factory photo of what appears to be a style that Buick was considering for 54  and I thought maybe some had made it out the assembly line door but now I see they aren't that close to what is on the subject car. However the one on the car do certainly look like the ones sported by the Landau. 

Lamar. You photo is not showing up. Are others having the same problem?

• Like 2

Aren't THEY beautiful?

I love them all, they kind of remind me of a kid wearing a HOODIE, pulled half way down over his eye's, DON'T YOU THINK?  

Now if only they had skirts, and lowered in the back, I would think that the only thing they need to do, is to ADD WATER.

Thanks for posting,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

NO Ben, YOU aren't the LONE RANGER.

Now you can rest in PEACE tonight knowing YOU aren't alone, hehe.

You can't take if now, probably some fastener marks on the drip rail, huh.  YOU, are stuck with it for life, probably not a bad thing though.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:46 PM, D Yaros said:

Thought you folks might get a kick out of this pic.  While I do know the year, I will leave it out to make things interesting.

Buick Dealer.jpg

This is Schmueser Buick located on Hohman Avenue in Hammond, Indiana. 

• Like 2