I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

I'm with Mike on this and everybody knows how I love my original condition 54's. I personally like mild customs and think it is good for the hobby that people buy these Buicks and keep them in circulation and out for the old car crowd to see. Otherwise too many of them end up sitting in garages or museums or God forbid junkyards and crushers.

I think it's all about self expression. Not necessarily what this or other custom designers think "a" Buick should look like but rather "this is what I like MY Buick to look like." There is no arguing in my viewpoint that the GM's/Buicks Art and Color styling guys had their stuff together and designed the most artful and beautifully colored cars of the 50's. Harley Earl understood that lowering a cars stance makes it look like its moving while sitting still and I think that is what the designer of this custom had in mind. But to each their own, I respect everyone's opinion, just don't necessarily agree with them. :cool:

My Dad always got downright angry when he saw a customized car.

He would fume and ask me, "Why would somebody #@*~ up a good car like that ?"

I would reply,

"Dad it's easier to customize it than to restore it. One doesn't have to worry about what is correct, just fix it like they like it. And that's also why they make chocolate and ​vanilla...."

I'm with Mike on this and everybody knows how I love my original condition 54's. I personally like mild customs and think it is good for the hobby that people buy these Buicks and keep them in circulation and out for the old car crowd to see. Otherwise too many of them end up sitting in garages or museums or God forbid junkyards and crushers.

I think it's all about self expression. Not necessarily what this or other custom designers think "a" Buick should look like but rather "this is what I like MY Buick to look like." There is no arguing in my viewpoint that the GM's/Buicks Art and Color styling guys had their stuff together and designed the most artful and beautifully colored cars of the 50's. Harley Earl understood that lowering a cars stance makes it look like its moving while sitting still and I think that is what the designer of this custom had in mind. But to each their own, I respect everyone's opinion, just don't necessarily agree with them. :cool:

There is absolutely no problem with me in building a custom car. If you are good enough then I say go ahead and build a car, but building over someone else's creation is like buying a expensive painting and putting your addition on the author's work or re-writing a essay or book. The guys that styled these cars know how to design a car from the ground up better than 99% of the customizers past or present.

Rather than call it customized, I prefer 'personalized'. Every car sold is soon personalized by the new owner...some more radical than others. My uncle hated the radical ones, but always installed gold stripe Vogue tires on his new cars. In the end, they are just cars...possessions to enjoy as you see fit.

Willie

This ol Super sedan was just to the right in the Random Images column. I do not recall seeing it when JohnD posted all the pictures from his visit to the old iron graveyard. So John, I take it this no longer exists. So sad. Gotta wonder how it ended up there, windows rolled up, original interior there and looks undamaged and complete. The hood ornament spear isn't even broken, they're always broke. Probably hauled there because it wouldn't go in reverse due to bad engine mounts or maybe some other simple fix. tn_img_5330_original.jpg

This ol Super sedan was just to the right in the Random Images column. I do not recall seeing it when JohnD posted all the pictures from his visit to the old iron graveyard. So John, I take it this no longer exists. So sad. Gotta wonder how it ended up there, windows rolled up, original interior there and looks undamaged and complete. The hood ornament spear isn't even broken, they're always broke. Probably hauled there because it wouldn't go in reverse due to bad engine mounts or maybe some other simple fix. tn_img_5330_original.jpg

I presume it's gone. I stopped going to that place in the Spring after the fiasco with Matt's (Jackofalltrades77) 47 Super convertible. But by the spring a large portion of the yard had been cleared. The car count as far as I know was close to 10K vehicles altogether in that place. The only ones good were the fortunate few which wound up on top of other cars. This one did not look too bad as I recall. It was right on the edge of a cliff and the ground had better drainage cause of it.

This photo almost looks too good that at first I thought it was a staged photo to look a period photo.
Me too Bleach!

I also thought it was staged but staged in 1947.

I have looked over the slide many times since I purchased it.

I believe it was a professional photographer that took the photo for either Standard Oil or for the Gas Station Owner.

Most likely for an advertisement or promotion.

As a side note; did anyone notice the "Seasons Greetings" sign in the window?

The seasons greetings sign makes sense, due to the snow on the ground. It seems staged to me also. Probably promo.

I think possibly if the photo was 1947, especially Williams Az. the sign probably would have said Merry Christmas instead of politically correct Seasons Greetings.

Keeping us on track... a bit of a pun when you see the photo.

This slide was taken by an amateur photographer. It is a very rare Kodachrome of the very rare Buick Wildcat I. It has never been published to my knowledge and to the knowledge of some whose thoughts I solicited.

It was taken at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in 1953.

I was extremely fortunate to have been able to obtain it.

I will be posting in other Buick forums so as many Buick fans can enjoy.

So here it is..............

16840135576_58ccf9acd7_o.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Keeping us on track... a bit of a pun when you see the photo.

This slide was taken by an amateur photographer. It is a very rare Kodachrome of the very rare Buick Wildcat I. It has has never been published to my knowledge and to the knowledge of some whose thoughts I solicited.

It was taken at the Illinois State Fair Grounds in 1953.

I was extremely fortunate to have been able to obtain it.

I will be posting in other Buick forums so as many Buick fans can enjoy.

So here it is..............

16840135576_58ccf9acd7_o.jpg

Wow Dave, you're getting better and better at PhotoChopping. THATS A JOKE SON, A JOKE I TELL YA!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, WOW what a photo. Congrats on discovering it!!!! I am sure it is one of the finest jewels in your collection. Gotta ask, has Joe Bortz seen it yet. Thanks so much for sharing and especially for including it in this great thread of yours.

Wow Dave, you're getting better and better at PhotoChopping. THATS A JOKE SON, A JOKE I TELL YA!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, WOW what a photo. Congrats on discovering it!!!! I am sure it is one of the finest jewels in your collection. Gotta ask, has Joe Bortz seen it yet. Thanks so much for sharing and especially for including it in this great thread of yours.

It is in my view "The Jewel" of the collection.

I have not shown it to Joe Bortz. If he has seen it, it would be here.

I was very happy to be able to acquire this slide and just as pleased to share it with all the Buick forum members.

When I bought this slide, the purchase also included about a dozen other slides from this event.

It included an excellent scene of the 1953 Cadillac Eldorado, a 1953 Mercury Convertible, and many foreign autos displayed at the event.

I will be posting them soon to my Flicker album.

I suspect that may be a Mayor or Governor in the passenger seat. I am doubting that that is Mr Earl. I would think someone would be driving him around instead of vice versa. Here is a newspaper article about the Illinois State Fair, no mention of the parade or cars

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1953/08/09/page/20/article/cab-driver-robbed

I looked around the various newspaper archives mentioning the fair but none mentioned Mr. Earl nor his cars.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to think if he did indeed drive the car. It was one of his cars and he was known to drive many of them himself through the years including the Y-Job.

I suspect that may be a Mayor or Governor in the passenger seat. I am doubting that that is Mr Earl. I would think someone would be driving him around instead of vice versa. Here is a newspaper article about the Illinois State Fair, no mention of the parade or cars

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1953/08/09/page/20/article/cab-driver-robbed

I looked around the various newspaper archives mentioning the fair but none mentioned Mr. Earl nor his cars.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to think if he did indeed drive the car. It was one of his cars and he was known to drive many of them himself through the years including the Y-Job.

The driver does not have Mr. Earl's forehead or hairline.

When I purchased the slides I made the same search and was unable to come up with anything but the newspaper article.

Based on the notes cards that came with the slides, this scene was the beginning of the midget car races and the Buick along with a 1953 Mercury Convertible and a 1953 Cadillac Eldorado were pacing the race.

I suspect the two men in the Wildcat are A.) The Driver Is A Zone Manager for Buick at the time and

B.) The passenger is either a politician as Lamar stated or maybe the owner of the race track/fairgrounds.

Just my two cents worth.

To see the other cars mentioned click on the link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117891934@N07/