Dave Gelinas (XP-300)

I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

When driving Ruby , we often imagine this scene,would love to have done it .

No pictures to prove it (guess too busy to snap one...;)) but even as late as 1978 or 79 we had Drive-In Movies here and the Special made more than a few.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dei said:

No pictures to prove it (guess too busy to snap one...;)) but even as late as 1978 or 79 we had Drive-In Movies here and the Special made more than a few.

We still have one about 15 minutes from my house: http://www.warwickdrivein.com/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

When driving Ruby , we often imagine this scene,would love to have done it .

is that a special or super ?

That is a Super.   Special had a dash same as yours.

Ben

1 hour ago, Machine Gun said:

We still have one about 15 minutes from my house: http://www.warwickdrivein.com/

That is so cool! B)

It reminds me of the Four Plex we had here. There was always one movie that was rated R that while the sound was not clear, still got your attention if the one you paid for was kinda slow...

Being an almost 10 hour drive for me, might be awhile before I can take it in but... surely would if I ever get there!

Riv nut 

amazing it’s stiill around , sounds like a good outing for all the local classics , pity cars can’t talk wonder how many movies Ruby’s watched back in the 50s and 60s while her occupants were cuddled up?

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Riv nut 

amazing it’s stiill around , sounds like a good outing for all the local classics , pity cars can’t talk wonder how many movies Ruby’s watched back in the 50s and 60s while her occupants were cuddled up?

The new B&B chain of theaters (at least to tbe KC area) has revamped two drive-in theaters, one in Kansas City, not far from tbe Royals ballpark / Chiefs football complex, and one in the suburb of Independence, MO.  So that gives us a total of three in the area.  They're just like the indoor venues in that they all show the same shows.  One of them is a twin; watch one show in front of you and another over your shoulder.

• Like 1

There are a few around this area too, and we did go one night when we had the 95 Riviera.  The soundtrack over FM worked great on the Riv's factory radio.  But the mosquitos were thick as ever, and we had to run the car and the AC for the entire movie.   I worried about carbon monoxide poisoning for the whole movie.

Unfortunately, in this area, I can't see myself taking advantage of this venue again.  It just does not seem too practical. 

Not sure if it belongs here or in the I don't like thread.

1523984573506.jpg

On 4/17/2018 at 6:45 AM, Machine Gun said:

We still have one as well.   http://www.bengies.com 

The rules at the drive in are strickly enforced....the owner ain't kidding either! 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

About 5 years ago, when all of the non-digital drive-in had to convert or close, Honda sponsored a nationwide competition where votes determined who got the 10+ digital projectors they were giving away.  I think others ended up converting on their own, if they are still around.  There will always be "legends" of what went on in the back rows of the drive-in movie parking lot!  The upper balcony at the walk-in was not as good.

NT5467

• Haha 2

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, Elpad said:

Concept?

1AAFE35B-0BB8-4592-8FA5-A7A05E8690B5.jpeg

Picture taken at the GM Design Dome patio in Warren Mich.  Yes, concept with the rear windows.

The area on the south of the dome with the arc of cars in the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/warren+mi+gm/@42.509413,-83.0449911,298m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That's the horizontal one. Raymond Loewy designed a vertical that went into production.

588512513135923pe.JPG

One of those little towns along the Erie Canal. Probably parked with the owner waiting to ride the lift bridge up.

001.thumb.JPG.2b4e1d1c24b90b1ee0fa6a544a73d2e6.JPG

002.thumb.JPG.588d2691d65a53920d4dc48f4a0d3cc5.JPG

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

One of those little towns along the Erie Canal. Probably parked with the owner waiting to ride the lift bridge up.

001.thumb.JPG.2b4e1d1c24b90b1ee0fa6a544a73d2e6.JPG

002.thumb.JPG.588d2691d65a53920d4dc48f4a0d3cc5.JPG

Bottom shot would be just about period correct if not for that darn GMC in the background.  

• Like 2

A nice Special i saw this morning at a swap meet and car show in Fitchburg, Ma. Maybe not my choice of wheels and im generally not a fan of body color painted bumpers, but a really nice car overall. My phone started acting up a bit around this point after all of the pictures i was taking so i only got this one.received_1802648546424159.thumb.jpeg.af2fd6139bd5166f90ca660a11573ffb.jpeg

• Like 1

In the middle of the Windsor / Detroit Tunnel under the Detroit River.

IMG_2906.thumb.JPG.077ee570a167b291bc1eaeafcf3f50b5.JPG

• Like 4

When Service Stations meant just that! SERVICE!!

• Haha 1

Not sure if this has been posted before but I found it while looking up info on some of his other cars.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/d1/e7/dcd1e7ce596bff983476447ae1fdd5ed.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bleach said:

Not sure if this has been posted before but I found it while looking up info on some of his other cars.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/d1/e7/dcd1e7ce596bff983476447ae1fdd5ed.jpg

Was thinking of him when I took the opportunity of buying car reg B9 HUR for my chariot pity not a 59 or60 Electra but a juke! ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

$(KGrHqR,!l!E64oy61-gBO4pw5yp2g~~60_3.JPG

552af3d1e121912c_landing.jpg

1939BuickHighwaySign.jpg

• Like 2