I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

Sometimes it is not the big job you are given. It's just walking to the bucket.

001.thumb.JPG.7209156640cf803111110ac471da0f74.JPG

My son helping to wash the car in 1982.

I had a chance to buy that car back. I just couldn't get past paying more for the car the second time than I paid the first time.

• Like 4

On 4/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, 91vert said:

518c8b0b781d68fa0c21b54dc95aaa9c.jpg

Whilst reading Buick’s for sale noticed the post regarding a 52 special 46S being very rare , what model is the Buick in centre of this photo , looks similar , but think windscreen perhaps one piece so probably later maybe 53 ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Whilst reading Buick’s for sale noticed the post regarding a 52 special 46S being very rare , what model is the Buick in centre of this photo , looks similar , but think windscreen perhaps one piece so probably later maybe 53 ?

The one sitting side on is a 1953 SUPER. Off to the left is a Skylark.  Up front and right is a Special. All 1953s

Ben

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

The one sitting side on is a 1953 SUPER. Off to the left is a Skylark.  Up front and right is a Special. All 1953s

Ben

Thanks Ben

i got the year right , but the wrong car 😀 what model no would that special be 

cheers

paul

8 hours ago, Elpad said:

4DC0C610-2BE8-4810-83E2-1D7023CA3885.jpeg

This is Terry Boyce's 1940 Buick Roadmaster (76C) with a special history. The car is closely associated or as well documented as possible with initial ownership by Harlow Curtis and having been outfitted with later production options such as dual carbs.   This car was was also equipped special paint and an advanced application of a foot activated emergency brake.  Terry tells me that the second documented owner of the car was the owner of a major GM parts supplier and that the car spent many years on the Massachusetts Cape at a summer home for the wealthy.

Terry has been super kind in hosting a visit from my wife and me so that I could spend hours of time photographing his car for the purpose of documenting my restoration goals for a similar car.  Terry is an accomplish automotive journalist and has owned a number of special interest cars in his time. 

IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.e8ebd24744704331801a7a17e1b29f83.JPG

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 91vert said:

At first I thought it was an assembly line but looks more like a car wash.

carwash7.jpeg

You're right about the Car Wash -

Muller Bros Car Wash - plus so much more, as an Oldsmobile - Firestone Tire - Cafe - Home Appliances dealer at Sunset & Ivar in Los Angeles, California,

The business, named "The Landing, is the subject of a LIFE Magazine article in 1951:

But take a look at some of the many promotions pictured with"Bathing Beauties" below:

Along For The Ride

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boulevard Beauty Queens... Muller Bros. Oldsmoblie

There was a day when gas stations actually tried anything they could to get men drivers to make the turn in for a fill up or car wash. It was certainly a different time, before Gloria Steinem came on the scene, and women started objecting to being used as props to attract customers.

In 1951 the Muller Bros., an Oldsmobile-Firestone Tire-Car Wash-Cafe-Body Shop-Home Appliance-Auto Supply Dealer located at Sunset and Ivar in L.A., California named their complex "The Landing." With good reason, they had everything you could want on one lot. It was giant compared to most new and used car dealers of the time, even had a control tower. They came up with the idea to hold a beauty contest to celebrate the 3,000,000th car to be pulled through its car wash. Life Magazine was there to photo-document the PR event for the rest of us to look back on.  Obviously, all the girls, the winner of the beauty contest, and the car wash winning dude, look pretty happy. Hummm, which one would you vote for?

Girls+10.jpg
Muller Bros. Oldsmobile, image via Life archives.

Girls+3.jpg

Girls+1.jpg

Girls+4.jpg

Girls+6.jpg

Girls+8.jpg

Girls+18.jpg

Girls+20.jpg

Girls+17.jpg

Girls+19.jpg

Girls+12.jpg

Girls+5.jpg

Girls+14.jpg

Girls+16.jpg

Girls+13.jpg

Girls+7.jpg
Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/9/2020 at 12:50 PM, Elpad said:

AFB03899-1E2D-4733-B160-F35226B6D2A8.jpegI

Just realized that this picture was taken at the Miami PAN AM sea plane terminal/base in Coconut Grove, FL. I believe that the airline had regular flights to Cuba

On 5/19/2020 at 1:53 PM, Elpad said:

Just realized that this picture was taken at the Miami PAN AM sea plane terminal/base in Coconut Grove, FL. I believe that the airline had regular flights to Cuba

AFB03899-1E2D-4733-B160-F35226B6D2A8.jpeg

The charming young ladies in the Roadmaster convertible, possibly arriving at Pan American World Airways'  Miami PAN AM sea plane terminal/base in Coconut Grove, FL,

Might likely have been each carrying a small FLIGHT BAG like the one I recently uncovered in our garage while making use of our "Stay-at-Home" CoVid-19 time.

35D37CDC-7ECF-45FB-8E9B-CDFEE43CA7D4.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 5/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, Marty Roth said:

You're right about the Car Wash -

Muller Bros Car Wash - plus so much more, as an Oldsmobile - Firestone Tire - Cafe - Home Appliances dealer at Sunset & Ivar in Los Angeles, California,

The business, named "The Landing, is the subject of a LIFE Magazine article in 1951:

But take a look at some of the many promotions pictured with"Bathing Beauties" below:

Along For The Ride

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boulevard Beauty Queens... Muller Bros. Oldsmoblie

There was a day when gas stations actually tried anything they could to get men drivers to make the turn in for a fill up or car wash. It was certainly a different time, before Gloria Steinem came on the scene, and women started objecting to being used as props to attract customers.

In 1951 the Muller Bros., an Oldsmobile-Firestone Tire-Car Wash-Cafe-Body Shop-Home Appliance-Auto Supply Dealer located at Sunset and Ivar in L.A., California named their complex "The Landing." With good reason, they had everything you could want on one lot. It was giant compared to most new and used car dealers of the time, even had a control tower. They came up with the idea to hold a beauty contest to celebrate the 3,000,000th car to be pulled through its car wash. Life Magazine was there to photo-document the PR event for the rest of us to look back on.  Obviously, all the girls, the winner of the beauty contest, and the car wash winning dude, look pretty happy. Hummm, which one would you vote for?

Girls+10.jpg

Girls+3.jpg

Girls+1.jpg

Girls+4.jpg

Girls+6.jpg

Girls+8.jpg

Girls+18.jpg

Girls+20.jpg

Girls+17.jpg

Girls+19.jpg

Girls+12.jpg

Girls+5.jpg

Girls+14.jpg

Girls+16.jpg

Girls+13.jpg

Girls+7.jpg

Must have went out of business.. Couldn`t get any work done.

• Like 2