I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

18 hours ago, 91vert said:

Shell station from Red Deer Alberta torn down a few years ago.

I remember these stations everywhere as a kid in the late 60's / early 70's -- back when an attendant pumped your gas, checked your oil, washed your windshield and gave you S&H Green Stamps...  ;)

What a great picture. I can remember also but not a lot. By the time I started driving (legally) in 1977, many stations had already or were in process of converting to self serve in my area. Interesting that there is not one but 2 attendants at this small station and they still made a profit on the basics. Gas, oil, tires, and repairs. Now the combination of repair shop and selling gas is uncommon. My cousin had same and was forced out of gas business in the 80s but still maintains repair shop.

With the exception of more remote areas, to sell gas today volume is important to price compete and you have to have a full blown convenience store because can't make money selling just gas. Break even on gas, make money on store items.

Makes you wonder if today's cars don't have oil consumption problems and better sealing tires than were common 50 years ago. I remember most stations had at least one service bay and a full time mechanic.  If you bought all your gas there and offered some help, you could usually get some free use of the rack.  

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:38 AM, EmTee said:

I remember these stations everywhere as a kid in the late 60's / early 70's -- back when an attendant pumped your gas, checked your oil, washed your windshield and gave you S&H Green Stamps...  ;)

Indeed. They were everywhere. An architectural format akin to Mc Don*lds.

My dad still has my HO trains/buildings stashed in his basement in New York.

Fantastic collection of beautiful filling stations here:

https://gizmodo.com/the-amazing-architectural-evolution-of-the-filling-stat-1772864964

Check out the 1964 Worlds Fair - amazing.

Remember this stuff?

05trains115a.jpg

BachShellStation.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, PWB said:

Love this color.  Seems rare for this year.

T-Tops and digital dash. Wow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Buick-Regal-Grand-National-Turbo-/272835671400?hash=item3f8645f568:g:kMAAAOSweAVZnhSM&vxp=mtr

01.jpg

"Grand National" or Regal T-Type with turbo???  Nice aftermarket "SE" center caps.  Exact same ones I got from JC Whitney for the Z28 wheels I put on my S10 Blazer. A Grand National would not have had chrome bumpers.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Buick offered factory two tone paint on the Regal in those years.  Those colors look like a couple of the colors offered in '87.  But, it also appears that the owner enhanced what was offered by the factory by painting the rocker panel to match the upper body color.  The true colors are hard to see in that lighting with the car sitting on that white mat.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...