An Etiquette Question

ninjagin

Hi folks,

So, I've had a question kinda gnawing at me for the past few months, and I wanted to get some advice on it.

I got my '71 Electra 225 back in March, and along with it I got a whole bunch of stuff -- all the original tags, the original brochure, owners manual, a documented history of every tank of gas and service for the first 87K miles of its life, and also the original factory order for the car, submitted in January of 1971.

The original owner's name is all over this stuff, and I can tell that he liked the car, as he was meticulous about everything on it. I looked him up on the internets, and found out that he died last year, back in September. His son sold the car that same month to a limo driver who (like me) is also an electra fan. That guy, finding that he had "too many electras" (sounds like a great problem to have, but whatevs), sold this one to me.

Now, the fellow between me and the original owner didn't do much to the car, and I've spent a great deal of time and money making it into the dependable, comfortable, leak-free driver that it is, and there are a few more details for me to work through (light bodywork, respray & vinyl top) before I can say that I have it the way I want it. I really like the car, and I've got no desire to get rid of it. It's a joy to drive and it gets out 2-3x/week.

So here we are. I've got this car that I like very much, and I've got extensive notes from the guy who originally owned the car, detailing family road trips and other events that were taken in it. I've also stumbled upon contact info for his son, who is probably the one that had to get rid of it when his dad died. Perhaps as a fool, I call the car "LeRoy", after the original owner, and I still feel like it's his car. A part of me would like to reach out to his son and let him know where the car is, and maybe find out a little more about his dad (I know a little from his obituary) and the car... maybe see if they have a photograph of it from back in the day.

Is it classless our out-of line to want to circle back with his family just once, or is it something best left undone?

What say you all?

Thanks very much in advance for your kind consideration.

-- Randy

Edited by ninjagin (see edit history)

My thoughts are that if you phrase it correctly and with respect the family would be pleased to hear about the car and to help. On the other hand it's possible they couldn't care less about the car or what happened to it and will just blow you off. In any event you have nothing to lose either way and a well written letter will answer the question. Not a thing out of line about it if done with respect...............Bob

Randy, I agree completely with Bob and Roberta. The effort will be well worth it if you succeed in obtaining additional information regarding the car.

I've wondered from time-to-time how you were doing with the car, so thank you for the update! Would love to see some additional photos, now that you have made it dependable.

As noted, you never know how these things might play out unless you do them. In some cases, it can help them to know that the car found a good home, with somebody who respects it for what it is and also who kept it as good as he did. If they offer you any pictures, be sure to propose that you copy them and return the originals to them. With the quality of modern copiers, some with photo enhancing software, a fresh copy can be better than the original . . . then return the originals, in person, to them. Be sure to thank them for their efforts, too! And, as always, be humble and gracious for any kindnesses they might extend to you.

See how it goes.

Something else to consider is to preserve and archive the various historical documents for the vehicle, for shows and "the future". Such a display could also display the enormity of the luggage compartment!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I purchased my 55 Century back in 1995 through a third party. The title was still in the original owners name along with all the paperwork. I decided to send the original owner a letter with a few pictures of the car. This is the letter I got back. (I sent another letter about a year ago hoping a family member was still around. No response and the letter did not come back. I assume they have both passed on)

post-50945-143139260338_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143139260342_thumb.jpg

This has really got me thinking about the original owners of my 55. I went to Ancestory.com and looked them up. Jerry Died in 1999 and Juanita just died in 2010. Now I am wondering if I could find some of the relatives. I have always wanted some old photos of the car when it was new.

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

Randy:

I had a very similar situation with my 1966 Mustang. I bought this car in 1996. The person I bought it from had only owned it about 90 days and ran out of money before he could make a "hot rod" out of it. In the paperwork I got with the car, there was documentation the car had been a one owner vehicle for 30 years, prior to this 90 day owner.

I wrote to the original owner as he still lived at the same address he had in 1966. He called me back and we had several long conversations. He told me of buying the car new in 1966 and then being sent to Viet Nam. While gone, he let his mother use the car and upon his return, his mother continued to use the car until she could no longer drive at 85years of age.

Once the car was restored, I invited both him and his mother to several shows to see it. They truly loved seeing it in its restored condition.

My suggestion to you is go ahead and contact them. I'm sure glad I contacted the original owner of my car. I learned a great deal about the history of the car, plus I got to share the final outcome of my restoration with 2 people that really appreciated it.

Kevin

I previously owned a 1950 Pontiac. I found the original owners name and address in the papers that were included with the car. I sent a letter requesting historical information about the car. It was many months later that I received a phone call from the original owner. My letter was sent to his childhood home. His mom forwarded the letter to him. It was the best thing I could have done. I was able to trace the complete history of the car. He also explained what caused a dent in the grille and why the hood had been repainted. He also sent me photos of the car during his ownership and allowed me to make copies. He and his mom were thrilled to know that the car was still around. It is the only car I've owned that I regret selling. Just send a letter explaining that you are researching the history of the car. I think a letter is better than a phone call. A phone call can be invasive. State what your plans are for the car. Include a few photos of the car as it looks today. Make it easy for the original owner to respond. Provide a postage paid envelope, email, phone number. Advise the owner to call you collect. Remember you and the original owner have at least one thing in common. You were both attracted to the car.

I was in the same dilemma with my Buick. Father passed away 2 years ago. Son put it up for sale at request of his mom. She was ready to sell. There were numerous candid emails through the process. Met the son and looked over the car. Deal was made and the son offered his father in law and his flat bed to deliver to my home. The entire process went well. Once I received the car I sent a heart felt email and thanked the son. I never met his mom. Oddly enough there was no reply. I let it go. I felt sending items of interest about the Buick might bring on saddness to the son and mother. I can understand because my dad passed one week to the day of the man who owned my Buick. It is or could be a painful reminder.