1963 Electra or 1963 Riviera

Guest BJM

Been looking at 2 projects to add. #1 is a 1963 Electra 2 door hardtop, gold with white painted top and tan interior. Solid, straight South Dakota car. $1000. #2 is a 1963 Riviera. The Riviera is in Maine and the reason for my interest is because it is specifically what I want. It's a non A/C car, in Silver with blue/silver interior. Not too concerned about the interior as I may change to black leather but I want an original 63 Silver car and total production was relatively small at 14%.

What are the pros and cons of the cars? Anybody restore or own a 63 Electra and maybe know if it is more straightforward then a 63 Riviera?

Any other comments would be welcome.

OK Bryan: When you are talking full sized 1963 you are talking "a good old Buick". 401/open Dynaflow. No a/c makes things EZ-PZ. The Dynaflow isn't a deal breaker but going through it requires being dialed into a tranny shop that will deliver for reasonable. I have owned tons of First Gen Rivs and the first thing I look for is as little rust as possible, next non-molested, than a good strong engine. Unfortunately buying a car that needs a lot of work even after passing my few requirements brings the reality to light that it's probably much cheeper to find a real good one. They are still reasonable. I have changed colors on these cars many times and I don't have a problem with it. Mitch

Guest shadetree77

Gotta' love the 63' Riv. They are both nice cars but if I had to choose, the Riviera has more style. Love that picture of Spock with his Riviera Dave! I use that one as a wallpaper on my laptop quite often. I admit it, I'm a Trekkie. Live Long, Drive Buicks, and Prosper!