Marmon Sixteen

Guest Saint Peter

Guest Saint Peter

Looking for a Marmon Sixteen to restore. Im not picky but a convertible would be nice. I would, however, consider one that has been restored, just not sure if I could afford.

Tom

Guest Saint Peter

I understand, but I am the owner of a large machine shop with two of my employees having worked in the automotive repair industry. It is cheaper for me to filter the restoration of such an automobile through my company as a write off rather than pay out of pocket. I did see a sixteen for sale last month on e-bay, but it looked a little rough. Probably should have bought it.

There was that half-restored Sixteen convertible sedan that Hyman bought at the Glenmoor auction last year, I think he paid close to $180,000 for it and it still needed $3-400,000 worth of work. I don't see it on his site any longer, so I'm assuming he's sold it, but figure the price of entry on a Marmon Sixteen of any flavor is close to a half-million bucks to have a car you can drive, whether you buy one finished or restore it yourself. Sedans might be less, but not a lot less, and I think the market is moving to where these will be in the same category as Duesenbergs in the next 7-10 years.

If you can find one and have the resources to restore it, I think you can come out OK financially, but it's a BIG plunge. For instance, one of our clients is a woodworker who makes the wood for a large restoration shop. He recently did the wood on a Marmon Sixteen club sedan and the cost was nearly $80,000 JUST FOR THE WOOD FRAMING!

Good luck in the search, these are truly awesome cars, but I think you might be better served by finding a driver-grade sedan and just enjoying it.