Advice------wheel bearings

Guest btate

Since almost everything will either be new or rebuilt, should I replace the wheel bearings. Someone said do the outer rear and not the inner as the rear gears would have to be pulled, to do the inner. I could just leave them alone but no more than bearings cost-------maybe I should replace. Any advice appreciated. Bill

I guess maybe I could clean with kerosene re-pack and purchase new seals. Seems years ago I used kerosene to clean the wheel bearings. But, could be wrong.

Kerosene will work, but I use Varsol or equivalent (less flammable) followed by brake cleaner. Remove all traces of the old grease if you are not sure they have ever been packed in modern grease...the possible incompatibility can cause the whole mess to liquefy (another item filed under 'how do I know that'). Valvoline synthetic wheel bearing grease has served me well...seems to stick to the ball bearings better than others.

Clean and inspect and only replace if necessary,if worn the inner and outer should be replaced as a set, in fact say if your rt front is showing some wear replace the left side as well as it's been on the road the same amount of time. Always repair/rebuild/replace things in pairs including brake shoes, wheel cylinders, brake calipers.

Timken bearings are excellent bearings. If you just go to the parts discount store you will get Mexican or Chinese made bearings. Or you could look for OE bearings...if you do that inspect them before buying.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Timken bearings are excellent bearings. If you just go to the parts discount store you will get Mexican or Chinese made bearings. Or you could look for OE bearings...if you do that inspect them before buying.

Just put a Timken bearing in a piece of machinery several days ago. The Timken bearing was, "Made in China." Kinda churns my inners when I think about it. :( Dandy Dave!