Strongberg carburetor rebuild

Guest btate

I had the 2 barrel rebuilt and guy charged me $280. He said he used the deluxe rebuilt kit. Does that seem to be a reasonable amount for rebuild. Goes on a 55' Buick Special. 264 nailhead. Thanks Bill

The kit was probably $50 his cost. Marked up 30% would make it $71. If he cleaned and painted the cast base that would add about $30. $60 an hour is a low garage rate these days and a garage wouldn't know how to do it.

If he is a good old boy and you brought it to him he would have 2 hours into it for a minimum of $220 so far. Add another hour if he had to remove and replace it and.... $280 it is.

Another consideration is the implied cradle to grave warranty people expect. If I had the feeling I was going to spend another hour later helping you I would add that hour up front.

I have a friend who sells lawn mowers. He was telling me about having one real nice one and one that needed some work. He sold the one that needed work cheap and the better one for a premium. It turned out that the guy who bought the one that needed work kept coming back. I told him I would have charged more knowing the worse one was "selling a marriage". The better one that went away smoothly was like "selling a divorce". When you have a small business things like that always come into play. (Don't buy anything expensive from me!)

If it works, great! It is not a lot of money when you look at the $30,000 you will spend over the next few years. You will find that getting the job done right is more important than the price.

Good luck and don't scare the vendors into thinking they are going to marry you.

Bernie

Guest Rob McDonald

BEET ATE, these guys are steering you right. $280 for accurately servicing the fuel metering system of your Buick is fair. Had any work done lately to the fuel injection in your modern car? Think about it.

For years, I drove an ancient Cadillac. It ran well enough but began to get fussy about cold starting. I tweaked and tinkered but finally took it to an old hot rod mechanic. He charged me a lot to rebuild the carb and do a general tuneup. That car ran so sweet, for as long as I kept it, that I truly don't remember what I paid him.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin. And vice versa.

As long as you pay others to do work for you, it's good to shop around first and then proceed . . . even if it's a good word-of-mouth recommendation. Might also be that the local guru everybody told you to stay away from might end up doing the best job. Always ask FIRST, then ask "Why ______?" they feel as they do, positive or negative . . . which might also give you a signal as to if the shop is any good at all. IF the quality of the work is good and remains that way, so much the better.

I might have sticker shock at that price, too, but then I'd probably do that job myself.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467