Trying to take apart an early 20s spot light

unimogjohn

I decided to see if I can rewire the 90 plus year old spot light that I have on the 1923 McLaughlin Buick. It is in good condition for its age, but it also looks its age. The wiring for sure is shot and the handle that you twist to get it on/off feels very loose so I know that the spring that gives it tension on the contacts is probably broken.

Now how to get it apart? I took off the rim bracket, which was held together with a small screw, gently pried the glass from the rim. The cork gasket is still partially there, but will make a new one, and pulled out the bulb. The bulb still looks good with the little dimple on top. It is a Mazda 1130.

I figured that the thing must unscrew so sprayed everything with Kroil and let it sit for 30 minutes. With just a little force the bucket started to unscrew from the attachment. So that solves that, everything unscrews. Great.

However, the wood handle must come off for everything to come apart. There are two small holes in the handle. One I can see just looks like it goes over the light base, the other hold has a round pin poking up through the wood. I figure you must just push in on the pin and it would release the handle, which would pop off. Well, pushed in the pin with a drill, it does not move, and cannot get the handle off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here are some pics.

Right now I have some more Kroil soaking the pin and will try later to push it in. But please do chime in if you have any recommendations.

post-48480-143139248846_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313924886_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139248874_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139248888_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139248902_thumb.jpg

John,

I suspect the two holes are for a simple pin pressed in to the wood handle and through the brass sleeve. I don't recall ever seeing a threaded locking pin (fastener) in a wood peice. For wiring, you can use 16-18 gauge teflon coated wire from Beldin (available from Newark Electroncs) (its what I use for rebuilding cigar lighters) and cover the wires with parachute cord which is hollow to give it the old cord appearance. Restoration Supply in Escondido, CA sells electrical connectors that host both single and dual pin bulbs, have threads on the outside shank for screwing into a handle and have small screw terminals for the wires. You could screw this connector into the existing handle or make a new handle on a lathe with a drop or two of epoxy to keep it from twisting off. If you want to go real crazy with this spot light project, nickel plate the reflector and then send it to UVIRA for their special coating.