1957 Buick Super Build

Thanks for the complement, the buckets are 62-64 GM. These came out of a 64 Grand Prix.

Thanks for the info.

Your 57 is going to look very cool.

The seats you have used are the style I would eventually like to put in my 55. Is there much clearance between the two seats (in the centre) ?

If you have the time I would appreciate if you could post here some measurements of the seats as well as the width of your floor Sill to Sill so I can compare to my 55........I am assuming that yours will be wider than a 55 Special or Century

would a mid 60's buick console fit between them or would it be too narrow.

I have a choice of 3 consoles which vary from 6 1/2 inches wide to 8 inches wide and I guess you would have to allow an inch or two each side for the seat base to clear when sliding.

Are your Grand Prix seats the same as the larger buckets used in the likes of Wildcats and Rivieras?

I believe the smaller skylarks etc used smaller buckets......anyone got comparison measurements.

Sorry for hijacking your thread a little but the photos you have posted are just what I needed and other may be interested in hearing answers to the above questions.

Thanks for the info.

Your 57 is going to look very cool.

The seats you have used are the style I would eventually like to put in my 55. Is there much clearance between the two seats (in the centre) ?

If you have the time I would appreciate if you could post here some measurements of the seats as well as the width of your floor Sill to Sill so I can compare to my 55........I am assuming that yours will be wider than a 55 Special or Century

would a mid 60's buick console fit between them or would it be too narrow.

I have a choice of 3 consoles which vary from 6 1/2 inches wide to 8 inches wide and I guess you would have to allow an inch or two each side for the seat base to clear when sliding.

Are your Grand Prix seats the same as the larger buckets used in the likes of Wildcats and Rivieras?

I believe the smaller skylarks etc used smaller buckets......anyone got comparison measurements.

Sorry for hijacking your thread a little but the photos you have posted are just what I needed and other may be interested in hearing answers to the above questions.

These seats would work perfect in your 55'. This series of GM seats are actually 62-65. 62-64 fold at a angle and the 65' seats fold straight up. A easy way to tell is the 65' seats have 2-hockey sticks one on either side. You are correct in that my car does have a wider floor pan as it is a Super but the placement of the seat is going to be the same in your 55' Special as the seats in order to look right will hug the hump. If you look at the pictures of my floor pan you can see the hump is wide and flat. I will get some measurements for you tomorrow but if my memory serves me correct I believe that my floor pan pinch weld to pinch weld at the rockers is going to be 7" wider then your 55' Special.

Yes these seats are the same seats that would have been used in any full sized GM vehicle "Wildcat, Riviera. Only Riviera used a different trim in a different finish up the side and did not have the top chrome piece. Also the smaller Skylark, F85, Tempest, Corvair & Nova used a similar seat that is the same dimension but only has a spear on the side with no chrome cap.

I am planning on using a 1/2 console.

I think my floor pan "Super" pinch weld to pinch weld at rockers is 68" and the Special Century is 61". I will get some measurements later today.

Okay I have some measurements. The Floor pan on my 57' Super from pinch weld to pinch weld is 64" but from door to door, doors closed, is 68-1/4". I also measured my 57' Special in the same place door to door, doors closed, is 65-1/4". Seat cushions are 24" and 7-1/2" between seats. Also I took a 1" section out of the rear track stands as the floor pan on these mid 50's Buick's are flat further back under the front seat while the early 60's cars the floor pan starts to angle down for the foot well in the back quicker so the rear stand has to be higher in order for the seat to sit level. Also I have 2-1/2 other sets of these seats 1-electric and 1-manual then one single passenger. See pics. I hope this answers your questions.

post-82368-143142326006_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326007_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326009_thumb.jpg

post-82368-14314232601_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326011_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326013_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326014_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326016_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326017_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142326019_thumb.jpg

post-82368-14314232602_thumb.jpg

Wow.....

Thanks for the fantastic pictures and in depth details.

I will certainly be referring back to them in the future.

I just need to find some similar seats out here in Australia which won't be easy, otherwise I will have to bring some out here from the USA.

So one last question for today......... What is the back seat out of?

It looks it fits right in without any alteration..... Did it?

You are doing some great work here, keep it up, I will continue to enjoy looking in from time to time

Wow.....

Thanks for the fantastic pictures and in depth details.

I will certainly be referring back to them in the future.

I just need to find some similar seats out here in Australia which won't be easy, otherwise I will have to bring some out here from the USA.

So one last question for today......... What is the back seat out of?

It looks it fits right in without any alteration..... Did it?

You are doing some great work here, keep it up, I will continue to enjoy looking in from time to time

Thanks for the complements.

The back seat is out of a 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire. It does fit nicely but I am only using it for the upholsterer pattern and will have my original 57' seat upholstered in the 62' Starfire pattern as well as the buckets. The same as the bucket seats the back is 61-64 GM the only difference is the pattern used.

post-82368-143142326831_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This morning I received a PRIVATE MESSAGE from 421-6speed regarding his '57' Buick super BUILD.

He took a break and purchased  a couple cars, one he made his driver, and did a frame/body off restore, that's finished now, so plans on getting back to this build this winter.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

This is an awesome build. I hope you continue to post pictures until you complete it. I appreciate the work you have completed and documented for guys like me to use as we restore our vehicles. I have a 57 Roadmaster and you have nailed the look for stance that I am looking for

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 6:10 PM, Idntknowpr said:

This is an awesome build. I hope you continue to post pictures until you complete it. I appreciate the work you have completed and documented for guys like me to use as we restore our vehicles. I have a 57 Roadmaster and you have nailed the look for stance that I am looking for

Looks like the last time @421-6speed    checked in here was back in Oct of '16 but hopefully his  right ear is burning and he will be back with updates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, Steves Buick said:

Great build, I've been waiting with baited breath to see the Buick all finished, I'm also in WA, will you be taking it to the end of the world rod run in 2020?

Cheers,

Steve

I think Dan has elected to sell his unfinished project as he is focusing on another project. I believe it was advertised here as well as the HAMB.