Convertible well liner

BRB62

Almost ready to start the upholstery on my 62 but have a question about the well liner that the top sits on behind the rear seat. My original had the (brown) vinyl upside down with the cloth backing on top and shiny vinyl side viewed from inside the trunk. This makes sense as the non reflective side is under the rear window. My replacement purchased some years ago has been stitched with the obvious intention of having the (black) vinyl on the top. Having searched numerous photos on the internet I cannot make out which is correct? Seems both methods are used but this is not normally an area of the car that gets photographed very clearly so I cannot be certain. Any thoughts please?

I just spoke to a friend with a 62 Electra, His has the black vinyl topside and the unfinished vinyl shows in the trunk. He also said his has snaps which allow the liner to be removed to service the top pump? If so, then sounds like there is only one way yours can go in.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave, I did not consider that problem, only the glare issue. Something else to consider.

John, do you know if your friend has replaced his well liner? He may have purchased from the same retailer? I got mine a LONG time ago (1995) from Classic Buick, usually reliable.

Thanks again

Rick

My father had a 1963 Electra convertible that he bought new. I distinctly remember the well liner because my sister and I rode in the back seat. The dull cloth looking side was up. The shiny side was down and could be seen inside the trunk.

My father only kept the car 4 years. By that time, the liner looked faded out from the sun. I would bet that very few original ones survived.

Guest 70 Electra
..... My original had the (brown) vinyl upside down with the cloth backing on top and shiny vinyl side viewed from inside the trunk. ....Having searched numerous photos on the internet I cannot make out which is correct?.... Any thoughts please?

I've had a number of cars with original bootwell. There's no question that the correct orientation is for the black cloth (the "brown" you see is faded black) on the upper surface, and the rubberized material is on the bottom (trunk) side. This original bootwell fabric was extremely thin and flexible, and reminded me of an old-fashioned rain coat. Unfortunately due to age and sunlight, the fabric would fade and the rubber would crack. Plus they are usually damaged or discarded during convertible top replacement---most shops would rather sell you a new bootwell, than go out of their way to preserve an original one!

I have never seen a correct reproduction, and most seem to be made (inexpensively) out of inverted convertible top material (with black fabric "UP" and pinpoint-grain vinyl "DOWN"). While this probably works just fine, it looks wrong and is much to thick and inflexible.

Thanks for the further responses. Seems to be a 50/50 opinion of what is correct? Some very definite answers for both methods. It seems that over time both methods have been used. The memories of a new Electra of similar vintage add a lot of weight towards shiny side down but who knows?