Side post battery terminal bolt removal to replace bolt

RO

Unable to get the positive side post to thread in the battery....cannot get it flush. Acquired a longer thread bolt and verified the threads in the battery are ok. How do you remove the old battery terminal bolt from the cable to install the new bolt? It looks like there could be a small circular retaining washer that needs to be pryed out or do you try to tap the old bolt out?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Unable to get the positive side post to thread in the battery....cannot get it flush. Acquired a longer thread bolt and verified the threads in the battery are ok. How do you remove the old battery terminal bolt from the cable to install the new bolt? It looks like there could be a small circular retaining washer that needs to be pryed out or do you try to tap the old bolt out?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It depends on the style of the molded plastic end over the terminal. On most factory style cables the plastic is soft and you can just push the bolt out. The plastic fits over a flange on the bolt head and simply stretches out of the way. Sometimes you need to use a small flat blade screwdriver to coax the bolt through the hole in the plastic. Replacement-style ends may have a different retaining system.

OK, thanks. Gives me a better idea. There's no plastic, but I believe then I will need to use the small flatblade to move the bolt through what looks like a metal retaining clip. Unbelievable what it takes to replace the battery, i.e., windshield washer reservoir had to be removed along with a long metal brace attached via bolts under the fender.

Got it. A big pull with the linesman pliers and the old terminal bolt came out. And, I had to insert three 3/8" washers with the new longer bolt to get it to bolt up flush. When I googled, I noticed I was not the first to have this problem wiht the Trans Sport Van.