1966 Impala SS, 396, 4spd, convertible!

66kabous

So. I was once told by a much wiser man, that if i was going to attempt a frame off restoration on a car, it had better be the right car...

And I think I did. An original, California car, that I bought, and service documentation supports, to have been a 43k car.. It just looked original and solid, but sad.

IMG00122-20110213-1312.jpg

IMG00126-20110213-1313.jpg

I confirmed all of the numbers on the motor, but the engine had been painted blue, and the transmission (also retaining the vin stamp) green....

I have the build sheeet forthis car, btw, and have saved all relevant items. I replaced that bogus Holley and setup with the correct Rochester.

I had that original and vin stamped Muncie M20 rebuilt , and that's the original shifter. I guess you know that that's the original console,as they don't make a replacement.

I have changed some things, but I have retained everything original to this car, and eventually, though not soon will be sold with it.

I gave it a complete frame off restoration, top to bottom, no screw or nut spared, that I can possibly imagine.

I gave it HEI. ( I have the original points set-up).

I gave it power front dic brakes (came with the car in boxes from "The Right Stuff Detailing"-- super application, very proud to have it...)

I gave it air conditioning, from the "Perfect Fit" Classic Auto Air Company.....

I gave it power steering.

I have everything from the original pitman arm, manual steering box, to the original drums, to the original points, which I have saved...

I didn't make the Impala. I just made it respectfully better. Oh, that's also why I put on the open element 427 breather, though I have that choked up single snorkel.... Pics following...

So, we went to work, with the guidance of a recommended fellow out of Florida... We did good work together, but we ran out of talent, and needed some additional help... Still glad for the education....

IMG00152-20110321-1842.jpg

IMG00159-20110327-2000.jpg

IMG00159-20110327-2000.jpg

Mind you, I'm consolidating the timeline and efforts....

IMG00215-20110521-1219.jpg

IMG00216-20110521-1221.jpg

IMG00218-20110521-1221.jpg

That was in the meantime.....

IMG-20110725-00050.jpg

Btw,painted with true, original GM chassis paint, NOS, from a GM dealer in Virginia...This paint was a special gift from MR. Bruce Brown of Brown Bros. Cadillac, who is truly one of the kindest and best men that God's distribution of DNA ever created...and yes, he is a friend of mine.

That was a severely truncated/ shortened view of the last 18 months of a frame off restoration.... What you did not see were the professionals who helped me to get it to this point. It was definitely a learning experience, and a real education about what constitutes professionalism, and thereby trust.

I have some newer pictures, and I am nearly mechanically done with this car. A little fine tuning, and getting the all new convertible top to work as it should are my last concerns....

I can't wait to enjoy this car with the newborn coming soon, and the beautiful wife whohas supported me when she knew I initially couldn't hardly turn a wrench....

his thing is really incredible....

375 hp application (for a 396, same year) roller cam and lifters, with the hardened valve seats to run on this garbage we call gas.... I just put 10 gallons of Turbo Blue 110 in my car-- drove across the river to the only people I know regulated and licensed to sell it.. right at $6 a gallon....

But it is worth $2 more than the garbage we use daily....