Cost to chrome the bumpers of a 1931 DB Sedan

Joe Cozza

It depends on condition and who does it or how they do it, 1000-1500+ is not unheard off, 700-1000 if they are in decent shape and need only be stripped and re-chromed

Joe, I agree with Jason, condition is a key link in the plater's bill. If you do your own grinding and polishing before hand, it will reflect on the final cost. Also, it depends what state your plater is in. The EPA has very strict rules now for the plater and his shop whereas those extra costs are passed onto the customer. As I am not quite familiar with '31 Dodge bumpers, other than they are most likely the solid, bar-type bumpers, any scrolling or scalloping on their faces would bring up the price a bit. If bumperettes are also included in the deal, I would guess we're talking around $650. minimum, to $ 1100. max. PLUS SHIPPING, if need be. I may need a "wake up call" too, if the prices have gone higher than that. I no longer send my plating to any local shops here in my state, for the reasons I stated about the EPA. I send parts out to a shop in Villa Park, Ill. Even with shipping, I come out WAY ahead. Good luck Joe.

Guest DodgeKCL

I take my stuff to a factory that does chrome plated furniture fittings and ,believe it or not, all those toothy grilles for Lincoln Town Cars. They've been doing the Lincolns for years. That was how I found them as some guys told me they knew their friend was doing the Lincoln grilles and would do hobby chrome on the side. I don't if his chrome would pass muster at a Concours but it is MUCH cheaper. He also did some nickel for me as I wanted some of the stuff done as per original. Not everything on our vehicles was chrome. Some, mainly the interior stuff, was nickel plated. You might want to go this route. I know the car hobby plating shops are EXPENSIVE but they won't let you have any job that's not Concours spec because their name is on it.

Joe.....I got my "deco fan" bumper clamp for my 1931 DB done for $100.00. Try a couple of local places for estimates and see who does better work. There is really no way for the chrome plater to quote a price without seeing the parts. Be sure that you tell them that the parts are "very rare" (even if they aren't) and not to lose track of them. Get thoughts from previous customers and the plater should refer you to them if he is worth going to. He will want to show off his work. If he doesn't, avoid his shop.

post-37352-143139244792_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139244801_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313924481_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139244819_thumb.jpg

Joe, I looked outside of the larger metropolitan area for my plater. Found a guy who did a great job for alot less than the city guys, and made a good friend. His most memorable quote, " When you leave your stuff with me, I'm working on it, not some flunky." But it still won't be cheap.