1953 chrysler locks up when put in drive or low

Guest mrwillys

Guest mrwillys

drove the car 100 miles at 65 mph, and it performed perfect. backed it out of the garasge today, put it into drive, it moved about a foot and locked up, reverse works like it should. selcter seems to be loose and sloopy... could itbe the shifter linkage trying to put the transmisson in 2 gears at once? this is the fluid drive transmission. cant believe the problem happened sitting in the garage the car only has 18000 mile and it sat a long time before i got it, car will roll in netural back and fore. car will back up like normal, but in d or l it will lock up and not move at all.

Edited by mrwillys (see edit history)

Sounds like it's trying to do 1st and Rev at the same time, or similar.

I'd check the linkage first. In many cases, the shift rods and the shift levers are "metal on metal" and probably have worn somewhat as a result, over the years. I'm not sure what diameter the shift rods might be, but it's possible that their OD might be similar to the ID of the bronze door hinge pin bushings of some more modern vehicles. If that's the case, then you might investigate installing some of these bushings in your shift levers, but you might need to enlarge the basic hole (re-centering it in the process, possibly) so the bushing will be a snug fit. Might need to also use some flat washers on either side, for good measure? Another possibility might be some of the rubber isolator bushings and plastic sleeves used on some Chevy models (pre-throttle cable days) throttle rods at the carburetor linkage . . . possibly some of the Corvette restoration catalogs might have some of these?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Also could be oil on the E-Brake shoes at the rear of the trans. Oil will be dripping at the back of the Transmission brake drum. This Can cause the two 5" shoes to grab the drum and make the car sort of lurch and chatter either forward or in reverse. It just occured on my 1950 NewYorker in reverse gear. Never did it the week before! You need to jack the car up to check it out.

post-62228-143139244681_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143139244687_thumb.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

C49ER, you nailed it. My '56 Dodge had exactly these symptoms and rebuilding the emergency brake assembly cured the problem completely. Very little cost, too. Chrysler products of the '50s were very well engineered and are easy to work on. Wish I could say the same of Buicks. And MGs.