Trying to contact Fred Hoch of Schaeffer and Long Restoration

unimogjohn

All, Greg Cone is trying to find out the status of Fred Hoch. He is located in NJ. If you know anything just let Greg know. His email is below. TX John

To: unimogjohn@aol.com

Subject: RE: How did you make out in the storm

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 12:17:41 -0400

John,

I've been trying to find out about a friend of mine in Jersey. I guess all the land lines are down and I don't have a cell number for him . Cant' even find a phone number for anybody who'd know him.

Perhaps you could post an inquiry on the AACA general for any information concerning the well being of Fred Hoch and the crew at Schaeffer&Long Restoration.

The shop is at Maple Shade, but Fred's home is closer the shore.

His friends are concerned.

GREG.

The shop is in Magnolia,NJ not Maple Shade. It is less than 2 miles from my house. I didn't hear anything was amiss over there, the immediate area was spared serious damage but I don't know about his residence. I can try to go there tomorrow and forward the message or get you a contact number. Call me at 856-287-0826, Dave

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

I've also been trying to contact Fred since the storm. I've gotten no answers at his shop of house, and no one of our mutual friends seems to have heard from him either. He doesn't have a cell phone or email to my knowledge. We've been friends for many years and I hope that all is well for him. If anyone learns anything please post it here.

I went over to his shop today. He was there and he's fine but his power's out. He's in a line of four commercial buildings without power from Sandy. I asked him to call Greg Cone and he said he would but he didn't give me a contact number. He should be reachable in a few days. He told me Greg made the replica of Wright's flying machine for the Kitty Hawk Centennial. I hope it's all right to tell you that.

Greg replies:

Dvd,

Could you please get word to Dave Mellor that we thank him very much for posting the update on Fred. When I say we,

there are so many of us in the "restoration trenches" (now retiring) who regard him as a mentor and the source of advice on how to do it the right (hard) way.

Fred began his life's work in the company of Wilkinson & Sharpe and Ralph Buckley, etc. , the founders of the professional restoration movement.

He is wished well by many.

Thanks,

GREG.

That's about right on Billy...his son WR and his grandson Billy Ray continue keeping White Post going....and they're now doing partial restoration and maintenance work, when before it was total restorations only....Billy knew how to find the right craftsmen and there were some beautiful cars that came out of that place..........