'25 Dodge jack question

Pete K.

There's one thing I need when touring is a jack for the 1925 Dodge Brothers auto. I used to have a selection of early car jacks that would've worked OK, I must have sold or given them away. I would like to know what the '25 Dodge Brothers jack actually looked like. I did find that there many different old car jacks on the internet that I can count and they all seem to be "Dodge" jacks! Is there any distinguishing marks on the right one?

Here you go. This is the jack and handle which came with my 1925 roadster. I am 100 per cent sure that these are the originals as the jack was still strapped into the boot and the handle was with the original tool roll under the seat. You will note that the handle is articulated - the bent bit is round and the other end is square to fit into the jack. The number on the jack is Q2286802C.

If you get desperate, I think I have an identical Jack somewhere but no handle to go with it.

Cheers

Tonypost-44825-143139243095_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143139243063_thumb.jpg

Bill, At least you responded. I wish you well with the hydraulic jack and hope you'll not need it on the road. Jay and I will carry some sort of jack 'till "The Real Thing comes Along". I'm beginning to think everyone carries a AAA card and has the car piggy backed home so their wife can change the tire! Getting back to reality,(or was I really THERE ?)... I would think the Dodge Brothers jack would have remained the same in appearance for a number of years throughout the 1920's, making the jack much more easier for us to find one these days. Unlike Ford during the short four years of the model "A", he had no less than 8 different jacks. Any info is greatly appreciated.---Pete.

Guest John1918

Hello Pete, I have just come across your post. Attached are info which may help you with your jack. I think the one shown was the one supplied with your car and the data comes from the Feb 1927 DB Master Parts Price List. The one I have for my 1925 Sedan is stamped Ajax Machine Wis. 4-14-14 (April 1914?) and on the other side #102<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-45637-143139243653_thumb.jpg

post-45637-143139243656_thumb.jpg

post-45637-143139243658_thumb.jpg

Fwiw Pete, I bought a jack at Hershey last year from a vendor that specialized in jacks (they had hundreds). According to them, the 25 DB jack was like the one John has picured in the tool kit. I'm out of town or I'd take a few photos for you.

Hello Pete, I have just come across your post. Attached are info which may help you with your jack. I think the one shown was the one supplied with your car and the data comes from the Feb 1927 DB Master Parts Price List. The one I have for my 1925 Sedan is stamped Ajax Machine Wis. 4-14-14 (April 1914?) and on the other side #102<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I just saw a jack as pictured in the tools list, on Ebay this morning.

Thanks Keiser! Too bad it comes with a big boat anchor jack too, but if they sell for a few bucks plus the $16.00 shipping, it's too good of a deal to pass up. Don't know why I can't get the listing here. I must be blind.

Maybe I can re-sell the malleable iron jack. I also got a PM from a gent who said he had an Ajax type jack. I will call him also. I guess the old adage holds true," When it rains, it pours".

Pete

The 1927 parts book illustration is somewhat misleading. It is the same as the one used in my c1919 parts book and includes a number of items that apply to the earlier cars. For example, note the size of the spare tire mount. I think that this illustration has been used generically and that while it shows the earlier syle of jack the quoted part number may not have got you what was supplied in 1925. I can only reiterate that my jack is authentic to my 1925 car. This is not say that that a different style from a different supplier was used during the 1925 series run.

Regards

Tony

Tony, I didn't even notice the drawing of the spare tire mount. It is not what my '25 has on it, which I am certain it has been on the car all it's life. Mine has a flat, bottom cross piece. SO.... Is that Ajax #102 jack for the '25??? Were export Dodges equipped with different jacks? Were the tools and jack even shipped with the exported auto's? I don't recall this question being raised here on the forum before. Machinist Bill, you may have the right idea after all. This Dodge will never be a showpiece car so I may settle for something of the era, but it does bug me, why don't I find the correct jack? They ARE out there, and some very affordable ones too.

Pete

I can also say that export Dodges were shipped with tool rolls as illustrated in the Book of Information. I have the original from my car and Dodge tools turn up here with predictable regularity. The can containing instruction books, tire information sheet and headlight focussing disc was also included. The Book of Information also says that a jack ,its handle and a tire pump were included but does not illustrate these.

Tony

Tony, I didn't even notice the drawing of the spare tire mount. It is not what my '25 has on it, which I am certain it has been on the car all it's life. Mine has a flat, bottom cross piece. SO.... Is that Ajax #102 jack for the '25??? Were export Dodges equipped with different jacks? Were the tools and jack even shipped with the exported auto's? I don't recall this question being raised here on the forum before. Machinist Bill, you may have the right idea after all. This Dodge will never be a showpiece car so I may settle for something of the era, but it does bug me, why don't I find the correct jack? They ARE out there, and some very affordable ones too.

The tools and jack were included with the export Dodges but in some case they did not consist of the same items as the cars which remained within the states.

Tony has it correct in post # 15 in that the jacks varied greatly on these earlier Dodges depending on how cheap a contract could be signed for.

I do not believe there is ever going to be any authoritative documents found labeling specifically the start and stop of certain jacks, there are clearly correct and incorrect jacks or period correct jacks. There is definitely a grouping of correct jacks that can be used as a base reference point.

The jack that Tony shows ( or a VERY close relative ) as an example for his kit is known to have been used in the earliest Chryslers, The square drive was phased out in favor of the tang drive sometime 27, 28 or so.

I do think some of this has been covered in a post I began some time ago concerning tools, maybe I did not get into this earlier stuff within that thread, I cannot remember now.

Pete

I can also say that export Dodges were shipped with tool rolls as illustrated in the Book of Information. I have the original from my car and Dodge tools turn up here with predictable regularity. The can containing instruction books, tire information sheet and headlight focussing disc was also included. The Book of Information also says that a jack ,its handle and a tire pump were included but does not illustrate these.

Tony

How about a picture of this kit Tony, have you already shared this with me?

Yes thanks Tony, I do have this image, if you have the actual kit though this would be so much nicer to see. This picture leaves alot to the imagination. Thanks again

Jason

This the tool kit I currently have. A few missing bits were collected with reference to the Book of Information. The hammer is non-original, the screwdriver may not be quite right but is of the style. The punch and tommy bar are home made representations. The tool roll is genuine and has the scars to prove it!

post-44825-143139246129_thumb.jpg

Guest John1918

The picture that I posted (reply #8) from the 1927 Master Parts List is identical to the page in the 1918 Master Parts List I have. Same parts numbers for everything. I think what Jason wrote is correct, at that time, 1925, one car came off the production line every 45 seconds and it would be hard for jack manufacturers to keep that pace up and deliver 2000-3000 per week. It makes sense to use several suppliers for the jacks

Jason

This the tool kit I currently have. A few missing bits were collected with reference to the Book of Information. The hammer is non-original, the screwdriver may not be quite right but is of the style. The punch and tommy bar are home made representations. The tool roll is genuine and has the scars to prove it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]161872[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the pic, I believe you will find the screwdriver to be closer to what was original for late 20 Chevrolet tool-kits but still a close example of what Dodge was also using at the time. Nice bag

Very nice tool roll! Thanks to John1918, I just won a $7.99 bid on E-bay for one of those dual-cylinder tire pumps with the wood handle that I saw pictured in his post #8. It needs a new hose, but new repro's are available. I kinda hope I won't ever need it on the road, but better safe than sorry. I carry a bicycle tube patch kit with me also with a few larger rubber patches from an older kit I have. Besides the Dodge, I'm quite active with my original '31 Ford Model A pick up truck with tube tires of course. I regularly check my spare tires. The '25 Dodge is still not on the road because of registering woes, or should I say nightmares.

Thanks for the pic, I believe you will find the screwdriver to be closer to what was original for late 20 Chevrolet tool-kits but still a close example of what Dodge was also using at the time. Nice bag
Jason, would you know if the '25's kit would have the red finished handle on the screwdriver like the mid 30's cars? Or should it be black? I lost track of when the change occurred.

Jason, would you know if the '25's kit would have the red finished handle on the screwdriver like the mid 30's cars? Or should it be black? I lost track of when the change occurred.

It would have been black