Just bought a 1990 Chrysler TC with 6 Cylinder drove home from Colorado to the Panhandle of Texas first ABS Light came on then the Brake light came on as I lost peddle. What a way for a newbie to start. Waiting to a Ebay shop manual and lost on how to progress. Help for the simple first checks. Master cylinder shows full. The Chilton I found has nothing. My current cars are 1964 Chyrsler 300, this I understand.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the TC community - sorry for your problem. You need to know that the ABS brakes on the TC are totaly different from almost anything else on the road -it's a Teves active system, also used on the GM Reatta. It's main difference is it uses an electric hydraulic pump to generate the pressure to brake. What looks like the master cylinder is actually a complex hydraulic valve. It is not uncommon for the fuses , relays or wiring for the system to fail, leaving you with no brakes.

If you search in this forum, there are a number of posts about troubleshooting the Teves system. Just don't expect your average mechanic to know it. Mopar or GM buys from the late 80s may, if they ever worked on them. The factory manual also has a good deal of information.

Good luck,

Jim

Since the ABS light came on first I would suggest that you look at the ABS fuse/relay box. It is near the passenger strut tower in the engine compartment. A common problem is that the fuses are good but the part they plug into has separated from the wires on the bottom, usually from overheating due to the ABS pump working hard to overcome a worn out accumulator. The accumulator is the bulb on top of the master cylinder and holds the pressure for the brakes, if it doesn't get pressure pumped back up then the hydraulic part of the brakes stops working, lighting up the brake light. There are other problems that can also cause this but if you find the problem at the fuse wires then you save yourself a lot of aggravation, just be sure to also replace the accumulator bulb.

Thanks to all changing fuse got the pump working and I ordered a accumulator from TCParts hopefully up and going this next weekend. Does anyone know size of brake bleeder screw so I can get a bleeder tool if I don't have the right size?

Great to hear it! When you have time just search the TC and the Reatta forums for info on the Teves brake system while you search for a good deal (under $65) Factory service manual (2 red book set for the 90/91 automatic cars). Don't touch the brake system until you have researched depressurizing the system!

Larry,

Thanks again I did everything but the flush (haven't driven the car except onto the driveway) will get flushed by my mechanic before I use it next day or two. Unfotunately when I was done we had a front come in with 75 MPH gust (Panhandle of Texas) so will have someone else Flush it for me. Thanks again to everyone here. Hope to meet you all some day at a Meet.

Any members in Northern Texas?

Have you researched the brake bleeding procedure? They are not bled like a regular brake system.

-With the key OFF depress the brake 25 times to relieve ALL pressure in the acululator. Now check the fluid resavoir and top up. Always relieve ALL pressure in the accumulator before removing resavoir cap.\

-The front brakes bleed normally - simply push on the brake and bleed.

-In order to bleed the rear brakes the system must be at full pressure. Turn on the key and wait for the pressure to stabilize. Now CAREFULLY bleed the rear brakes, the longer line first. When checking the resavoir do not forget to relieve ALL pressure.

Remember what Larry said usd DOT3 fluid ONLY, the system is real fussy about this, and it is the best and only fluid to use.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Thanks to all. Brake project complete. Ran two plus large bottles of brake fluid through the system. Brakes are working like a champ. Lucky for me we have a weekend in the 70's coming up and time off to give a good ride. Again Thanks for all the help. I mean it when I say "couldn't have done it without you all". Got my membership in the TC Club last week. Expect soon to have other questions.

Bruce