Last "Honeycomb" radiator

Ben Bruce aka First Born

At a local festival/ car show yesterday, there was a very nice original 1946 Plymouth four door. It has a honeycomb radiator. Now I am more of a GM man, but THOUGHT I was knowledgeable about other makes. Guess not as much so as I thought, as I did not remember this radiator this late.

Ben

Guest carlnut50
At a local festival/ car show yesterday, there was a very nice original 1946 Plymouth four door. It has a honeycomb radiator. Now I am more of a GM man, but THOUGHT I was knowledgeable about other makes. Guess not as much so as I thought, as I did not remember this radiator this late.

Ben

I had a 1955 Plymouth that had a honeycomb radiator and I think they used that design through 1956.

Are you talking about a true "honeycomb" radiator (six sides) or a cellular core (four sides on the diagonal). My Pontiac had a honeycomb rad that I had to replace in 1962 with what was available then, a cellular core. Since then many people have commented at what good shape my "honeycomb" rad is in. My McCord rad book lists cellular cores up to 1956 in Chrysler products and 1948 in Kiaser Fraser. It seems all the other manufacturers went to K-cell or flat tube in the late 30's and most went away from real honeycomb as soon as the core was covered with come type of grill.