1930 Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Guest curtmacd

Guest curtmacd

It appears that I need to find an aftermarket sending unit for my Hupp. Does anyone know the correct ohm rating for the unit? Is it 0-90ohm?

Guest curtmacd

Still trying to determine what the correct ohm value is for my 1930 model S fuel gauge? I can buy an aftermarket sending unit, however I have to be careful to match it to the gauge as much as possible. 0-30, 0-90, 10-90 are all options possible for the 1930 era. I suppose I can go pick up a potentiometer and create the necessary resistance of ohms to move the gauge to empty and full, then measure that to ground to get a reading with my DVOM??

Anybody have a better soultion before I create contraption that only I would recognize?

... I suppose I can go pick up a potentiometer and create the necessary resistance of ohms to move the gauge to empty and full, then measure that to ground to get a reading with my DVOM??

Anybody have a better solution before I create contraption that only I would recognize?

I would recognize that contraption as it would likely be very similar to the one I made for my '33 Plymouth. :)

I have no idea if the senders used on Hupmobiles would be similar to ones used in that same era by Chrysler products. But if they used the same vendor you might have the same issue I had. If you are lucky then the range might match that of a currently available universal sender.

So I suggest that you go to the effort to measure the resistance values needed for various gauge readings (empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full) as you may find, as I did, that no modern sender will be exactly what you need. I ended up modifying a modern universal sender to be close enough for me to live with the readings: Plymouth: First Decade - Early 1930s Fuel Sending Unit

By the way, I built my little resistor box so that I could plug the DVOM into it and toggle a switch back and forth to switch the resistance between the dash unit and the DVOM. Made getting the resistance measurement process much easier.