lost keys 1940 buick special

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

does anyone know how to get a new set of keys for a 1940 buick special. The women I bought the car from thought she had the keys (she is 91 years old) but they are not the right keys, she had over 20 40's cars that she has sold now, and that was the only set she had. is there someway based on the vin # or spec plate that would help in making the correct set of keys. HELP

A 1940 Buick is before VIN numbers came into effect, but I don't think that would help you even if that were the case. These were the days before the modern security features found in keys and seems like a competent mobile locksmith should have no difficulty making a set for you.

Thanks,

Michael

I believe the Buicks of this period are a single key system in that the ignition, doors, trunk and glove box are all keyed the same. The glove box lock is the easiest to pull. Take it out. On some of these, once they are out you can get to the pins and determine the keying. On others, a key can be made by the impression method. Call the locksmiths in your area and see if they can make a key by the impression method, if not move over to another one. I've had a number of keys made this way.

Guest daveagain909

good idea i will look around car for a hiding plac, does anyone know for sure that this year car has only one key, I seem to remember that cars of that era had 2 keys one for the ignition and one for the doors trunk and glove compartment, Is that correct? or is the one key fits all comment correct, (i hope so)

See the link below. Later Buicks went to a one key system, but yours is a two key set up. GM only used about 20-30 different keys up through the 60's, so call all your friends with 30's to 60's GM cars and offer them a prize if their key unlocks your car. I remember my Dad telling me the story of his friend with a '41 Chevrolet that had the same locks as Dad's '38 Pontiac and tricks he would pull on his friend. A few years back, a friend locked the keys in my '41 Chevrolet, so remembering this story, I went through my key box and my '48 Cadillac trunk key unlocked the Chevy door! You may be able to find an old time locksmith that still has a GM master set.

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/lost-keys-1940-model-51-a-198429.html

Guest daveagain909

got my key made, only need one key for all locations. ignition , doors, trunk, glove box, all using the same key, I removed the glove box lock and took it to our local locksmith, he was able to make the key via use of experience, now everything is cool. Thanks for all the help I got from the forum members. Thanks again Dave

post-53072-143139245028_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143139245042_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143139245056_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...

Still looking for key help?

Does it look like this? This is a Super according to the picture.

1940 Buick Super Ignition cylinder.jpg