Firewall Insulation for '65

kdml

Anybody ever use the firewall insulation from Cars, Inc?

Old Buick Parts - CARS. Inc.

I am installing mine, but my original insulation was already removed from the car, so I don't have a guide. The new insulation came with 7 plastic retainers. Anyone know which holes they go in? I took a guess at which holes, but the retainers are incredibly tight in the firewall (to the point that they are bending) so I want to be sure I have the correct placement, before I drive them in all the way. Also, what did the original retainers look like (assuming they did not look like the plastic retainers) and does anyone have a source for the original versions?

Thanks

Doug

The retainers that come with most aftermarket insulation pads are almost impossible to get into the holes in the firewall. After experiencing that with a 1966 Skylark GS I purchased just the retainers from Year One which were nylon and worked a lot easier to install. Their part number is HR122. Once installed they look original. Sorry that I can't help you with the proper location.

I made one for my '64 when I had it apart in the mid '90's.

I cut and trimmed a 1/16" rubber sheet across the whole firewall. Then I cut a piece of foam carpet underlay that was about 1/2" thick over the first layer. I sandwiched that with a final layer of the 1/16" rubber. Although it is not original it has a nice smooth black finish and the two layers of rubber really soak up the sound.

I have used the combination of deadener ans sheer rubber on the inside of doors. One I really remember is a black '69 Cougar that I gave the full treatment to. You would swear you were closing the door on a Bentley.

Bernie