1931 Buick Vin #

Guest hest003136

Guest hest003136

I recently purchased a 1931 Buick 4 dr. sedan series 90. I have been trying to run the vin # to find out what I can about the car but all that comes up is " not a recognized vin # " It is a seven digit number and I know the entire history of the car so there is no funny stuff with the number. Can anyone help me get info about the car on line using the vin number? Or is there some other procedure I could use

Congrats on getting a nice car. The vin or serial # in this case will only tell you what model year it is. For 1931 it has to fall between 2460544 and 2602732. The engine number will not match the serial # and that has to be between 2613338 and 2751922. If this is true then you are in good shape. On the firewall there is a plate that has the model, paint and trim #. It might also have a separate plate below it with the manufacturing date.

Guest hest003136

Thankyou for your reply. The previous owner made a new title in 97 because they lost the orginal and when they did I believe the used the engine number for the vin number. The vin they used fall between the numbers you identified as engine numbers. I suppose I will have to get a new title with the correct numbers?

hest,

I, for one, are unsure what you mean about "running the vin. #". Can you indicate where you searched? Especially if you have the history, what might you be trying to find about the car.. If you can post all the numbers on the tags and the frame number (on the frame, near the pass. side front wheel), as well as the engine number, someone should be able to give you some information.

john

Guest hest003136

I went on a web site that provided the stats for the car and it also had a site to enter a vin# for info. I don't know what kind but was courious so i entered it and got a not a recognized number response. I also entered the last vin # you gave me and got the same response. I know the people I bought the car from and they bought it from the local banker who bought it new so I know there is no problem I think they just thought the engine number was the vin number.

Welcome to the forum

We like photos !

VIN number are relevantly new Vehicle Identification Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Vehicle Identification Number, commonly abbreviated to VIN, is a unique serial number used by the automotive industry to identify individual motor vehicles, towed vehicles, motorcycles and mopeds as defined in ISO 3833. VINs were first used in 1954.[1] From 1954 to 1981, there was no accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats.In 1981, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States standardized the format.[1] It required all over-the-road-vehicles sold to contain a 17-character VIN, which does not include the letters I (i), O (o), or Q (q) (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0).....
Your title may have the chassis / frame number or engine number as post 2 above

The Buick body number may be on a data plate riveted to the firewall

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest hest003136

Thankyou for your help. Found the vin tag and motor number. Just as you have indicated my numbers fell between the ones you identified. Good to go!

It was not unusual for titles and registrations in many states to use the engine number rather than the serial number on the frame. This was true well into the late 40's. Some states will give you grief if you try to change to the serial number. They only trust that last title for information. Once the serial numbers were moved to the cowl or door jambs, the serial number was then used. My father was arrested for driving a stolen car because he bought a car and changed the engine and the local cop didn't think he had the money to buy a car.

Bob