super turbin 300

David dunbar buick

Hi

I need to replace the turbine on my skylark 340 1966

does anyone know where to buy it, or do you think this is right

# TC-GM1Torque converter, Super Turbine 300 (ST 300)

Diameter - 12.5”, Pilot - 1.703”, Mount - 3 Pads, Splines - 30

Notes - Variable Pitch Stator

1964-67 BPO (6 Cyl) Variable Pitch Stator (Solenoids on VB & on Pump):confused:

ST300 Transmission Parts Transmission Parts GM Rear Wheel Drive

Remanufacturered torque converters are available from many sources. Some can be had from auto parts stores, provided they have a catalog for them. KEY thing is to ensure that what you get is for a Switch Pitch transmission as that type is most probably the only one that'll slide onto your existing front pump splined input shaft.

What's the failure mode of your transmission? Just curious.

In many respects, it might be best to let a transmission shop do the swap. If the converter has come apart inside, it might have put lots of debris into the oil system of the trans. ONLY way to fix that issue is either a complete teardown or possibly a complete fluid flush situation. If you just replace the converter and there's "stuff" floating in the trans fluid, it can and will compromise the further durability of the trans AND the new reman converter you just installed. The flush should also include the external trans cooler and related cooler lines, too.

Just some thougths,

NTX5467

One of the speed tricks that the guys racing naiheads with ST400 switch pitch converters is to use the switch pitch converter from an ST300. The holes are in the flexplate so it's a bolt on. The splines are the same on both units. Using a converter from a ST300 on a ST400 raises the high stall speed.

Ed

Hi

thanks for your replies

transmission works great but.

I bought the car in 2006 and the previous owner said that the turbine was replace.

Probably with fixed pitch

And said something about an adjustable turbine.

Now when I start driving the car, I want to have the original

turbine.

ED so what you are saying is that the turbine on a ST400 and a st300 is the same?

In the ST400, the torque converter and the front pump are a "matched set". Fixed-pitch converter with a fixed-pitch front pump. Switch-pitch converter with a switch-pitch front pump. I suspect the same situation exists with the 2-speed ST300 automatic transmission. IF this is the case, the fixed-pitch converter would not fit the switch-pitch front pump . . . not going to work or even put it together--period.

There is a switch on the throttle linkage or carburetor which controls which "pitch" the converter is in at particular throttle opennings. THAT might be what's not operating correctly.

What Ed's talking about is something which was done back " in the day " before we had the resources for higher-performance torque converters being readily available. Each torque converter has a "stall speed" behind certain motors. If you have a 300cid engine, in order for it to have a certain stall speed, it's designed to have that stall speed behind an engine of a particular horsepower rating. If you use that same torque converter behind an engine with a good bit more horsepower, the stall speed will be higher as there's more power in front of the converter. Therefore, a converter rated for a 300cid motor, when put behind a 401cid motor, would have a higher stall speed than when it was behind the (intended application) 300cid motor. That was "the trick". Just as in the 1970s and 1980s, using a THM350 (Chevy) torque converter for a V-6 application was used in the more powerful Z-28 (350 cid motor) application to get a higher stall speed at no additional production cost. Chrysler did something similar with their HP 383 and HP 440 V-8s, using a 318 cid V-8 converter to get a higher stall speed for the larger engines. And, if you really wanted a higher stall speed for your hot rod Chevy 350, you got a torque converter for a Vega 4cyl!

A torque converter is a reasonably-easily replaced item, BUT it takes some shop equipment and an lift to put the vehicle on. I have known people who, in their younger days, did do such a swap in their driveway, with some GOOD jackstands to support the vehicle. BUT this is NOT RECOMMENDED. End result, it's NOT something like changing a set of spark plugs, but takes some specialized shop equipment AND somebody that's been there before to do the job.

I would recommend you find a reputable transmission shop in your area to get the transmission/torque converter situation checked-out for correct operation and such. Too much money and time involved to NOT do that. This can also verify what you might have heard the prior owner say about the situation . . . one way or the other. Where is your location? Also, a transmission shop who'll know what they're looking at (hopefully), rather than one where all they know about is later-model vehicles, with all due respect.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

thank you very much for your answers

you're right, I should contact a transmission shop

but I'm pretty sure that Torque converters are the wrong model

I have found two Torque converters

one from an Olds 330 with st300. from 65a

and 1 marked st300

I would know how to distinguish one fixed pitch from variable pitch

I live in Sweden

here you can see some pictures from Sweden

http://www.bigmeet.com