Flying Four

oldcar

Guest Fast Four Special

Very nice! Would love to see more photos and info on the drivetrain. I'm going to break ground on a Fast Four powered speedster this winter.

Well guys you asked for photographs. In fact when I got the rescued the pile of rubbish from a development site I discovered that I had the makings of two cars albeit one chassis was severely accident damaged at the rear. The first car to be built was christened the "Le Mans" Dodge in the style of all those original 3 Litre Bentley saloons that are transformed into "genuine" Lemans cars. The second took far more ingenuity to create the speedster. Those that follow my other threads will be aware of my rescue of the Dixie Flyer and more recently the 1923 Single Six Packard. That is really just scratching the surface. Some of my other efforts involve such diverse cars as a 1922 Citroen 5CV a 1925 Singer 8hp, a 1930 Austin 12/Six and a couple of 1927 Morris Cowleys A 1937 Morris 8hp and another Morris 10hp. I will try to up-load the photographs of the two Dodges in some sort of chronological order.

Bjpost-51681-143139230811_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313923078_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230785_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230787_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230788_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230791_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230793_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230795_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230797_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230799_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230802_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230804_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230806_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230807_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139230809_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

When last heard of the "LeMans" Dodge was in South-West, Western Australia. The Flying Four, after living in the Yarra Valley for some time has now found its way to Northern Queensland. Some of my other projects are now in places like Switzerland (2) the UK and one in of all places the Isle of Man.

You may see some family likeness between the Flying Four and this little 1926 Singer 8HP that I built quite some years ago. It too has travelled widely first to Sydney in NSW then to Tasmania. When last heard of, earlier this year, it was in England.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-143139241645_thumb.jpg

Hey! It is not my intention to hi-jack this department, There are more than a dozen other cars saved from the brink that I could show you but I have the 1923 Packard Coupe/convertible victoria that I need to be working on. (Not a Speedster)

By the law of averages there has to be at least almost 10,000 people around the world either interested in, working on, dreaming about or driving a Pre-WW2 SPEEDSTER. Please tell us about your ideas even if it is only a thumb-nail drawing of your dream car.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

I want to build a giant speedster in the same vein as the America La France creations. I have a lead on a late 20s Diamond T truck chassis with steel wheels and hydraulic brakes which would suit well. It has had the chassis cut off behind the rear spring hangers which suits the build and I don't need to feel guilty about chopping a good chassis. I am searching for a suitably massive petrol engine to suit. I have been offered a GMC 702cid V12 which would do the job nicely but it is a bit modern being from the 60s. Long term project I guess, will keep collecting bits as I find them.

Hi

It is good to have a dream but you need to look at what you are attempting to re-create. To me almost every American LaFrance "Speedster" I look at makes me feel sad. Some one has put in a great deal of effort, firstly destroying a possibly very good Fire-appliance only to make something that looks like a tarted up truck. Before you cut up the Diamond T do some real research, there is a mountain of stuff on the "web" about period speedsters, sporting cars and racing cars. It may take some time but you will have a lot of fun and just maybe learn some history. You may be surprised. There is a ton of stuff out there just begging to be rescued.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Hi Bernie,

I see what you are saying but there is more to consider. The project for me is meant to a bit whimsical. I spend 100% of my spare time restoring cars and I love it, it is what gets me out of bed every day. I am always bringing someone elses vision back to life though, the speedster is a chance to build an idea of my own. The Diamond T is in a scrap yard, it is a bare chassis with axles and wheels, no running gear or body and has already been extensively butchered, if I don't collect it in the near future then it will be scrapped. Secondly, I stand 6 feet 7 inches tall, many vintage cars are a struggle for me to get into, particularly speedsters, hence the overscale idea. I have no intention of racing the car, it probably won't even see the road, just a chance to have a play with no limitations on design or concept. It can be cheap also as I can use what I have rather than buying "correct" parts. There is still a lot of stuff out there but I find that it is getting increasingly hard to find and often ridiculously priced.

Heath

Hi Heath

At 6'7" you certainly can cross Austin Seven's off your list. As you describe it the Diamond T sounds like a possibility.

If you have the space why not give it a try. Start a thread and let us see what you have in mind and how you go about it.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

I'll start a thread as soon as I get the chassis home (providing we can agree on price, he is asking quite a lot for it). It will be a slow build as I'll add parts as I come across them, it will be built alongside my other restorations. That was it's other purpose, something to work on when I feel like walking away for a day or two from a project that is frustrating me.