'41 Cadillac Speedometer problem when cold

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

This shouldn't be too difficult to fix, but don't want to start greasing or using graphite on my speedometer cable until I get a few expert opinions. My speedometer is fine in warm or hot weather, but when it get cooler out (like now), it starts to make noise and the indicator needle goes a bit wild. After the car warms up, I assume the motor heat reaches the cable and all is fine. What would be a safe remedy for this? Do I lubricate the cable and (or) the speedometer mechanism? Thanks. Jim

Your problem is most likely a dry speeedo cable. Undo the casing from the back of the speedometer and pull the cable out. Lubricate the bottom third with a lubricant like white lubriplate (or very light grease). Reinstall and drive for a few miles. The lubricant will work itself up the cable. If you lube the whole cable you will end up with grease in the speedo head and then you need a complete overhaul.

When greasing the cable be sure there is no grease remaining in the end of the cable that connects to the speedometer head. If the end is connected with grease in the cable end the grease will be forced into the speedometer and cause damage. A little grease goes a long way. Good luck.

Guest jimstulga

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try greasing the cable first, but way down from the speedo connection. Can see my error in the past with other cars. I used to slather grease over the entire cable. If this doesn't do it, I'll have to look into service for the speedometer itself. Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jimstulga

Success!! I greased the cable about a third to half way up and drove the car with temperatures in the 30s. Noisy for a short while then slowly quieted down. Seems to be working perfectly now. Thanks for the suggestions all and especially Tinindian. Jim