Pilots and Rivieras

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

My Dad was a B-52 pilot and retired in 1963. We moved to Florida and of all things he bought a 63 riviera. At the time the car was obviously High Tech. So this post asks: 1. Anybody out there that is a pilot chime in with their thoughts. 2. Anybody out there that has any thought about a Riviera being a pilots choice of automoble chime in. 3. Any airplane/riviera thoughts chime in.

Thanks

Guest Steeleco
steeleco-im a fan of old aircraft and rivieras-how about sharing some of your dads old aviation days and your involvment with him on the subject.thanks t.nugent roa 12969.........

Thanks for asking. Basically our family was stationed at Castle Air Force Base Californina, Fairchild Air Force Base in Spoke Ann Washington and Glasgow AFB in Montana. Dad flew airborn alerts (loaded with Nukes) and spent a lot of time in the Alert Shack waiting for either dry runs or the real thing. I don't remeber getting real close to the aircraft in those days. After he retired in 1963 and we moved to south Florida life became totally different. Although I do remember changing spark plugs and a flat tire once on his 63 riviera back in about 1967 or so.

Guest Steeleco
Ex-Navy here, I always thought of my '64 Riviera as a version of the NCC 1701-D shuttlecraft, 'course I ain't really right.

Bernie

Bernie, I don't think any of us who own a car that gets 9-12 mpg in 2012 can be considered "right". But it is fun. Which reminds me, although I have driven my 63 very conservatively since I got it in May, I have done a couple burn outs. I don't think anything can burn rubber like a first gen riv in low gear. It's scary and embarassing at the same time.

Steele

Even if your Riviera wasn't owned / driven by a pilot, the "Nailhead" engine that powers those first generation Rivieras has ties to the aeronautical industrie.

Buick "Wildcats" were used in the start carts for firing up the engines in the SR-71 Blackbirds. They were the only engines with enough torque to hold the jets at rpm until they could ignite on their own.

Google SR-71 start cart and read about it.

The Wildcat was replaced later by a 454 Chevy, but a lot of mods had to be made to that engine to make it work.

Ed

As to the comment about burning rubber, around 1999 I had a 1993 Park Avenue Ultra. It was brown and a bit conservative in color and style. My wife mentioned that while we sat at a light on the south side of town right after I bought it. I said "Yeah, but it does this." The light turned green and I put my foot into it. The front wheels broke loose and the engine revved more. That brought on more boost, more wheelspin and more boost; surprised the hell out of her. When all the violence and commotion stopped I told her I had only done that once before, when I decided to buy it.

Bernie