Considering a 1937 Super Eight

Guest Wayne Harris

Guest Wayne Harris

I came upon the following ad for a 1937 Super Eight. It seems to be in pretty good shape and, from my research, 1937 seems like a good year. Does anybody have any opinions or comments on this car? I realize the description and photos are minimal but I can perhaps get more information if it seems a good example, price, etc. All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

1937 Packard Standard 8 - $29,000 - Vehicle Classifieds For Classic Standard 8s For Sale (CC-367904)

Wow. I don't know how you could go wrong at that price. It looks like a fully restored car. Pictures are deceiving, though, so make sure you look at it in person. I would want to know about the mechanical condition of the engine. It says it was done.

Be careful about fraud, or spammer or whatever. Almost seems too good to be true.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest Wayne Harris

I emailed the seller with several questions. She answered a day later but most of my questions were not answered. She promised to send additional pictures but, so far, has not sent them.

Guest Wayne Harris

You're right Marty, the ad does call it a Standard Eight. But, according to my information, there was no "Standard Eight" produced in 1937. The Standard Eight designation was dropped after 1936 and that model, for all intents and purposes, became the Super Eight. The former Super Eight with its larger engine and longer wheelbase options was discontinued after the 1936 model year but Packard continued to use the Super Eight designation for the smaller car.

• 8 months later...