Paint and Chrome Preservation

Curti

I just hauled a 33,201 mile 1935 Auburn sedan home. Needless to say I intend on preserving this car in it's most original state. I am the third owner, not counting the ACD factory that used it for two years as a demo and a loaner car. A restoration is straight forward, this not so much. My questions are many, but at this point there are two.

How to preserve the flakeing 77 year old lacquer paint.

The factory chrome plated artillary wheels are showing signs of rust. The rust needs to be neutralized then possibly a coating of something.

What do you think?

Curt,

Most decent motorcycle shops sell "Semichrome Polish" which is a German product. Pink stuff that comes in a tube.

It will do wonders for any chrome surface, put if it's pitted, nothing will help.

Re the paint, your picture indicates that it cannot be saved.

Just my $ .02........and worth every penny............

Mike in Colorado

Curt- I believe the polish mentioned is Simichrome, not Semichrome. Our engineering prototyping shop used it regularly to make steel and aluminum parts simulate chrome finishes and reflectors without the expense. I do not think there is anything wrong with original paint showing it's age- patina is a great thing and it's only original paint once as a reference source for others.

I agree, I have no intension to do any repainting as I enjoy the patina. I would like to arrest the advancing patina as much as possible. That section of the cowl is the worst on the car. I will pick some simichrome and give it a try.

Curti, You've got a beautiful car! Simichrome is a good polish, no doubt, as I have a tube in my shop. It works best on TARNISHED metals, as I find that a bottle of the NOXON #7 metal polish works better on rust of any sort, followed by Simichrome or just wax. Just my 2 cents-- as far as the paint, I don't think there's much you can do other than just leave it alone and enjoy it.

Guest 51c8Joe

I seem to remember a discussion somewhere here about the TV show Fast and Loud. The owners wanted to keep the patina of a 49 Olds and simply cleaned the car and clear coated it. May be more details in the thread.

Joe

On the old survivor cars I have dragged home 0000 steel wool followed by Mothers mag and aluminum polish on the chrome, which has always worked well. I also have some ancient chrome and brass polish that is liquid that I have used with the steel wool for more aggressive rust like the wheels that works really well. Unfortunately I don't think whatever it is, is still made. A friend gave me a partial case of it a few years ago :D

I sell alot of NOS chrome parts and I use Mothers almost exclusively. It's cheap, works super well and is available even at most hardware and auto stores.

a lot of guys in the AMCA are using a spray on product by "Gibbs" on original paint bikes. I have tried it on my 1913 Harley and seems to work but then again I have used WD40 on this bike for 30 years and it has not deteriorated. I don't think WD40 is much good for anything else .

I have a preservation car with good original paint, but some spots of rust I'd like to arrest. One guy suggested transmission fluid on the rust. Here is link to the Gibbs product mentioned above. I have also read that Ankor Wax is a good product for finish preservation. Some of the rat-rod people use that. It's a bit sticky, but stops oxidation. also seems popular; you apply some several times a year. I don't what you can do about the flaking paint other than let it alone.

Phil