1936 D2 for 1936 D2 !

Dodgenz

Here are a few grubby pictures of my D2. It's currently shed bound as I can't get the fuel pump to pump, despite stripping it down, cleaning and checking it - looks ok, maybe the diaphragm is stretched, it's not split. Can this happen?

The car runs (even with the dead rabbit on the engine) and would drive if my fuel pump worked. I'm looking out for original cloth - is this still available? Also one photo added of my other one...I only have one ram between them...any ever around anywhere?

Will post more when i wash it and get it mobile!

post-88706-143139220444_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220387_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220391_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220398_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220407_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220414_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220421_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220428_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220436_thumb.jpg

- Quite the crew in the first shot! Looks like they are having some fun!

- The lack of engine splash pans helps contribute to "unwanted guests". Right hand drive is a tight squeeze in there!

- That's how to strap on a tow bar! Solid.

- "Riteway" headlamps for Export. Didn't know there was a separate lens with specific "Export" markings! I did know the bulbs are different so it makes sense.

- Pockets on the doors. Specific to "Export" again.

- Right hand drive dash. Still looks "funny" but some is familiar.

- Color inside the pocket is pretty close to the original taupe! This looks like the "Bedford Cord" style of material.

- The Four Door Sedan! Quite the rarity now-a-days. At least in the US.

- Now there is a car with a LOT of potential! A good cleaning and getting that engine started up again will set you on your way! Fun project! Ooh, a little "side" thing I just noticed... The export version doesn't use any stainless steel side trim. No apparent holes in the hood panels, doors or rear quarter panels! Interesting.

You don't show a photo of the fuel pump so hard to comment. But a few things to consider: Was the pump properly mounted with the pump's lever on the right side of the cam? Be sure to push the pump squarely and directly into the engine block so the lever rides on the face of the cam. There is a pin in the lever that is the fulcrum point. Can it be that it is loose letting the lever ride too far into the pump and not properly engaging the tip with the cam? It is possible that there is something causing the inner valves to not seat properly? This could be dirt, weak springs, scarred or damaged valve face.

These are all things to poke around at.

The material is available but may not be exact. Find a good sample piece from your car (underside of seats maybe), photo or scan it with a scale in the shot, and send it by emails around to some of the common upholstery companies. One of them should be able to come up with the right deal for you. The headliner is more of a soft cotton felt type style. This is also available. Some of the other guys may have experience with finding these materials. I luckily didn't have to do that!

The hood ornaments are "out there" but the costs are climbing fast. Just keep watching eBay and such to get an idea of the market, then jump in when you think you have found the right deal. No need to pay $600.00US for one - yet. BTW, they are specific for '36 I'm pretty sure but may have been the same on '35. #651992

post-67404-143139224121_thumb.jpg

Keep those photos and questions coming!

post-67404-143139224097_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

In case there is a question there about 1935 and 1936 ram ornaments being the same, they aren't. The 1935 ornament has the "rock" that the ram is leaping from, similar to the late 1931 through 1934 except it does not fit or act as a radiator cap. The 1936 only has the chrome strip to leap from.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

OK. Yea. I was only going by the " 36 Preliminary Parts List" that has indications for parts that were new for the '36 model. The indicator was not shown for the Ram Ornament so it was an assumption on my part that the '35 and '36 may have then used the same part number.

I do know from the "36-42 Condensed Master Parts List" that the ornaments are different from '36 to '37. So that means it IS a specific ornament for '36.

Thanks for your comments and points of interest...I had forgotten about the stainless trim. Interestingly the white car (with the 'dodgy' crew) does have the trim - I remember that as one piece on the rear is missing. But I'm pretty sure everything is indentical. The blue one has however had a P2 motor put in - not sure of the differences, but look the same.

Just off to play with the fuel pump as it's a beautiful day out there...

A few more pics. It moves! - for the first time in three years or so. Hope you all like my access ramp! - it makes a few people nervous but it does have a good view. One question, which are the correct hubcaps for a 1936? I have some of each in various states of repair.

post-88706-143139228669_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139228627_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139228636_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139228646_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139228654_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139228661_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

I have been told that in the U.S. the caps with the raised ends went on the cars and the others went on trucks. In Canada with a smaller market Dodge only put on the flush style. So I'm told. But it could be hearsay.

Sorry to say, but the 10 spoke wheel is not for cars. That is a pickup truck wheel. The cars had 14 spoke wheels and used the hub caps with the raised tips and black ring around the exterior. I believe the non-bulleted hub cap is either also for pickup truck or a later model like '37 or '38.

I do know of a guy who is currently searching for truck hubcaps if you decide to search for all correct ones for your sedan. The wheels you have look very nice so they should make good "trade bait" if/when you look for the 14 spoke wheels.

post-67404-143139230182_thumb.jpg

(BE AWARE - THE ABOVE INFO PERTAINS TO U.S. DOMESTIC VEHICLES ONLY! EXPORTS MAY BE DIFFERENT).

post-67404-143139230168_thumb.jpg

post-67404-14313923018_thumb.jpg

Oops. Forgot. Export vehicle. I guess I will have to look into that more. I may be "all wet" on my last post because of it being an "Export". There are (numerous) things that are different on Export vehicles and the wheels MAY be one of them. Can anyone else give more expertise on the Export Vehicles?

I think you might be right about the export thing - my white one has the same wheels on it, including the spare. Also if I'd thought about it a bit more I could could have answered the hubcap question myself as the locking one on the spare has the raised lugs (assuming it's correct, but I imagine it is), but it didn't come with any other caps.

There is a bloke in NZ here I know who makes reproduction hubcaps, I can try to find out if he does the truck ones.

Guest stephen48

Looking at my photos I have taken shows both types of wheels on 36 Dodges here. Probably depends on whether they originate from Canada or USA .

The hub caps with the raised ends are for US production. My Canadian (Windsor Ontario built) RS coupe has the smooth caps and I presume many of the export cars - depending on their country of manufacture - could have either type. I didn't know about the caps with the raised ends until I got one from an American friend and discovered the difference. Another difference is that my smooth domed caps have the spring mounting clips on the flange on the cap, not on the wheel as shown by 1936 D2's pictures. My wheels have the same spoke configuration as 1936 D2's but there is a ring welded around the hubcap opening in the rim to catch the clips on the hub cap. Your rims look more like some truck and Plymouth rims I have seen. Also like '34-5 DeSoto Airflow rims. It seems that when it came to production there wasn't necessarily only one way that the company made some parts. Does anyone have any idea of the logic that went with these variations?:confused:

Jim

• 7 months later...
Guest willowgrass

Hi Sir

Do you still have the hub caps? I'm searching for some hub caps for a 1938 dodge sedan. thanks

Sorry to say, but the 10 spoke wheel is not for cars. That is a pickup truck wheel. The cars had 14 spoke wheels and used the hub caps with the raised tips and black ring around the exterior. I believe the non-bulleted hub cap is either also for pickup truck or a later model like '37 or '38.

I do know of a guy who is currently searching for truck hubcaps if you decide to search for all correct ones for your sedan. The wheels you have look very nice so they should make good "trade bait" if/when you look for the 14 spoke wheels.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160083[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]160084[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]160085[/ATTACH]

(BE AWARE - THE ABOVE INFO PERTAINS TO U.S. DOMESTIC VEHICLES ONLY! EXPORTS MAY BE DIFFERENT).

I do not have these caps. The photos were from another source.

Just so you are aware, the caps for the '38 Dodge are a bit larger in size than the '36 caps that are shown in these photos. The '38's "look" the same (less the black stripe around the outer rim as I recall) but are a different diameter. Larger I believe.

Sorry.