Mid-year changes to convertible top in 1990?

Guest Metricwrencher

Guest Metricwrencher

Does any one know if there were changes made to the convertible top release mechanisms in the middle of the 1990 model year? I have a 5th bow release lever and a tonneau release switch located in the rear storage compartment behind the driver's seat. However, the 1990 Reatta Owner's manual that I have (which I have reason to believe came from a later SN car) shows an electronic switch for the bow release also apparently used for "latching" the rear Pins of the top. Also both switches are shown in the owners manual to be located on the rear bulkhead next to the divers door jam as opposed to inside the storage compartment. No big deal, but interesting if this was a mid-year change.

The electric pull downs were supposed to be in '90s, but got delayed to '91. I suspect this is also the source of the backwards (in my opinion) instructions to latch the top to the windshield first, before pushing down on the 5th bow. It is *much* easier to do the 5th bow first.

Your Reatta is built like all other 1990 convertibles, a lever to release the 5th bow and a electrical slider to release the tonneau.

All 1990 literature says they had a electric pull down (and release) but that did not happen until 1991. American Sunroof designed the convertible top mechanism and they apparantly had a problem getting the parts in time for 1990 production. There were a few built for Buick execs and some engineering models but the electric pull down was not "production" until the 1991 model year.

The location of the two electric slider switches in your manual was a very early design and never made production. The Reatta prototype that just arrived in San Diago has the early, non-production parts on it.

I am attaching a photo of the first design.

post-30596-143139219911_thumb.jpg

Guest Metricwrencher
Your Reatta is built like all other 1990 convertibles, a lever to release the 5th bow and a electrical slider to release the tonneau.

All 1990 literature says they had a electric pull down (and release) but that did not happen until 1991. American Sunroof designed the convertible top mechanism and they apparantly had a problem getting the parts in time for 1990 production. There were a few built for Buick execs and some engineering models but the electric pull down was not "production" until the 1991 model year.

The location of the two electric slider switches in your manual was a very early design and never made production. The Reatta prototype that just arrived in San Diago has the early, non-production parts on it.

I am attaching a photo of the first design.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]158753[/ATTACH]

Yes! that is the same control position that shows up in the photo on page 126 of my 1990 owner's manual. So, were all of the manuals incorrect or did they print some with the correct features and instructions?

Yes! that is the same control position that shows up in the photo on page 126 of my 1990 owner's manual. So, were all of the manuals incorrect or did they print some with the correct features and instructions?

There were two 1990 manuals - 25534523 and 25534523A. The latter has the correct photo on page 126. There are a few other photo and textual changes between there and page 131 - including removing the reference to pressing the upper switch for the power pull-downs. Not sure what else they fixed. But they didn't fix the photos showing the Riviera fake wood trim. And there are a few bugs in the light bulb list - though not as bad as the one in the FSM.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)