For sale 1920 3 inch Waltham dashboard clock

For Sale

post-51681-143139218508_thumb.jpg

Beautiful 1920s 3 inch diam Waltham 8 day clock as fitted to Smithfield Rolls Royce and a number of quality American cars.

Stem wind, second hand and state of wind indicator. Runs but requires clean. $200.00 plus postage (in Australia.)

post-51681-14313921849_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139218499_thumb.jpg

Three inch Waltham clocks such as this are fairly common and were used in a large number of pretty nice cars. There are numerous different different faces that all use the same basic movement that is essentially the same as used in their pocket watches. I just bought one that had been freshly serviced by a clock technician at hershey for $130. Servicing would be around $75 or $85 so a clock that requires servicing would cost about $30 to $50. Look on ebay for Waltham clocks and you will see quite a few for this price range. I doubt very seriously if "Dougie" has sold his either.

Hi OCF

What gets right up my nose is that whenever I need to buy something it is always rare hard to find and extremely expensive. If I sell the Waltham clock to someone for $25 or $30 it will immediately appear on e-bay for $100. This happened to me not all that long ago with a "Dead Easy" tire pump.

I need a working radiator "motor meter" in good to excellent condition for the Packard. Anyone got one that they have been trying unsuccessfully to sell for years? I can take it of their hands for five bucks? Alternatively I will swap the Waltham clock for one in similar condition.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

I see that happening at the swap meets all of the time. I had my eye on a $20 item last summer, went back to my booth to get my money and came back in about ten minutes to see it was gone. I turned to walk away and it was right across the isle for $150 firm. Go figure.

I guess the bottom line is that we all want the good deal and would be happy to have an item at a fair price, but the high price stuff gets tied up with all of that labor to haul it to many meets just to bring it home again and again all in the name of greed.

value is in the eye of the buyer and seller

If the seller thinks it is worth x and a buyer agrees, then win win

If the seller thinks it is worth y and no one buys it it may be because of a few things:

THE buyer did not see it

it is only worth X and there are plenty avail

THE buyer did not want to offer X

the demand for the item is low

etc ... .

Speculators / flippers will always be there and if your item is priced too low, it does end up being "market adjusted" at another location ...

A lot of times that item will just sit there forever though :)

PS:

I have a similar clock, different face, a little more elaborate and would be thrilled to get $100 for it ...

http://forums.aaca.org/f170/waltham-8-day-clock-application-s-309263.html

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

Oldcar I understand your concerns. The old car and the old car market is changing rapidly, one still hears of good finds and good deals, and fair prices for parts, but it's getting much more interesting with the exchange of information on the Internet.

Years ago, you'd offer your clock in a marque magazine, someone needed it badly, price paid, deal done.

Now, someone needs a part, do a Google search, or an Ebay "sold" search, and value is evident. From there, one never would offer more than what the Internet says the part is "worth".

Great resource, but one needs to remember that it's a different world now on finding cars or parts, when virtually everyone can say "well, I saw one on Ebay sell for seventy-eleven dollors"............

Your restoration efforts are interesting to follow....best of luck....