Sign in to follow this  
edinmass

1906 American at Hershey R M Auction.

Just a passing question, how does a car go from 610K to 100K in 4 years. While I admit that 600 sounds very high to me for the car, 100 sounds kinda low. There MUST be more to the story. Any one familiar with the reason for a 500 thousand dollar swing? Ed

Good catch, Ed, went back and looked at the earlier sale. It was bought by the late O'Quinn, and with all due respect money must have meant little to him in acquiring very very nice cars for his collection. That said, someone had to be bidding against his acquisition attempt at the Seal Cove auction.

And I agree, the sale price at Hershey seems low.....interesting stuff....

Hi Dave, I was given a heads up on the car. Some of the guys with the super brass seemed upset by the price swing. It's a very early car for it to bring 600k, but thhis weeks price seems very low also. Just goes to prove your car is only worth what a buyer with cash in hand is offering. Past sales in this day and age don't mean too much. Like what you drive, it's the best protection in a buyers market. Ed

The car was also at a Bonham's auction within the last year or two (I believe Monterey) where it failed to sell. This is an example where a private sale would have yielded more money. The new buyer got a bargain and if the new buyer was a dealer, he should make a tidy profit, even if he has to hold onto it for a while. It really is a great early car.

Well, I don't believe all cars were "no reserve", although cars from the O'Quinn collection (of which this was one) may have all been at no reserve. I do see that a few cars are not marked "sold" on the RM results page....

Hi all, the sale price seems very low. I wonder if it would have sold for more if it was an underslung rather than a conventional frame car. Are there any other known, non underslung Americans? Greg in Canada

Interesting point, an Underslung sold very low in the last two years also-forget what it went for, but might have been 180k and a beauty! Dealer had it up for resale shortly thereafter-am thinking Dick Shappy?

Long and short of it, there are nice, big, brass cars out there for sale, and can be had at fair prices if you have the do-re-mi and can move fast.....even at auctions....