Sign in to follow this  
Pete Phillips

leather fan belts

I'm not sure what the early 20's Buick belts are like, but if they're flat leather like my '21 Stearns, check out this website:

Custom Leather Drive Belts-Single-ply (11/64''), up to 4'' wide

John made one for my Stearns, very reasonable price and perfect fit. They are not pre-stretched, so I had to take up a little slack a couple of times but I was very happy with the one John made for me.

Just an FYI. When the leather belt gets wet on a Tour where it rains like heck all day, it stretches and slips and in my case got 'thrown' and bent my fan in the process. Any large auto parts store will have a modern flat belt (4 or 5 groove) in the length that fits. I've been running one reversed (grooves out) for years. It cost the fraction of a leather belt and it's still there.

While we are on fan belts, don't forget to grease that fan hub. If you don't have an Alemite grease fitting on it, get rid of that threaded plug and put one on there and grease it often and check for play. If and when this bearing goes, the fan eats the radiator core $$$$. I've seen several cars where this bearing has gone and several others where the bearing has been updated to a sealed bearing. I prefer to grease my stock bearing and check it for play every time I fill the tank with gas. At the same time, I fill the rocker arm shaft galleys too, lube the stater/generator and distributor.

I worked out the measurements of what I needed for my '27 Buick, and went to my local bearing and belt supplier and had an endless flat cloth reinforced belt made, cost ~ $80 and will last the next 50 years I suspect

I picked up mine at Mac's Antique Auto Parts located in Lockport N.Y. They mainly deal in Ford parts. Have been using mine for 2 yrs. and no issues. they are cheap enough to throw a spare in the trunk also. Around 20. bucks give or take depending on length.

Like Dave said above, John Knox makes the leather fan belts to your size and they look very original. He made a belt for my 1922 Buick Coupe and I couldn't be happier (cost $24.95). If it ever needs to be shortened just send it back and he will shorten it for free just pay the shipping. I am lucky as he lives just a town over from me, great guy. I am thinking of having another made for a spare they are that good.

Cheers,

Gary