Dating 1953 Buick Glass

Yellowriv

I've been trying to piece together the history of my 53 Super Riviera and I need some help in decoding the glass.

All windows are stamped E-Z-Eye LOF and the windscreen has the code AS-1-LA. The other windows are coded AS-2-LA and one is coded AS-2-KA. All windows are tinted. It therefore appears that all of the windows are original.

I know the LOF is Libby Owens Ford, the AS is American Standard, the 1 is for the windscreen and 2 is for the other windows. I can find month and year codes easily for 1963-72, however its more difficult for older cars.

I think the LA means January 1953, not sure about KA. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks

Guest martylum

Hi-I'm not sure of the meaning of the KA but I'm doing a 53 Roadmaster 76X convertible with EZ Eye glass and the lower numbers on one side glass are AS 2 VE on the door or 1/4 glass. I think these are original glasses as all 6 pieces seem to have an etched number and replacement glass would not necessarily have an EZ Eye coding. I did not check to see if all 6 side glasses have exactly the same lower numbers . I'm going to replace all 6 side glasses as none are without some delamination along the edges-too bad. I'm giving some thought to giving a try at making at making an etching mask with the same info for the replacement glass. The antique glass vendors seem to shy away from this sort of thing I guess due to attentions from LOF as to copyright, etc.

Have other owners found that the glass vendors' replacement tinted glass is true to the original color of this glass?. I seem to remember replacing some tinted glass in a 50s car and not getting a good color match on the tint.

Martin Lum

53 Buick model 76X

I've been trying to piece together the history of my 53 Super Riviera and I need some help in decoding the glass.

All windows are stamped E-Z-Eye LOF and the windscreen has the code AS-1-LA. The other windows are coded AS-2-LA and one is coded AS-2-KA. All windows are tinted. It therefore appears that all of the windows are original.

I know the LOF is Libby Owens Ford, the AS is American Standard, the 1 is for the windscreen and 2 is for the other windows. I can find month and year codes easily for 1963-72, however its more difficult for older cars.

I think the LA means January 1953 (correct, L=January, A=1953), not sure about KA (K=April, A=1953). Can anyone clarify?

Thanks

My comments are in red.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

(Eighteen days and counting down)

Hi-I'm not sure of the meaning of the KA (K=April, A=1953) but I'm doing a 53 Roadmaster 76X convertible with EZ Eye glass and the lower numbers on one side glass are AS 2 VE (V=December, E=1952) on the door or 1/4 glass. I think these are original glasses as all 6 pieces seem to have an etched number and replacement glass would not necessarily have an EZ Eye coding. I did not check to see if all 6 side glasses have exactly the same lower number. (Note that the etched month and the year code references the month and year of the glass being made, not the month and year that the car was made. You could possibly have 6 different months on the 6 side pieces of glass, and in your case, two different years, 1952 and 1953, due to production starting in late 1952.) I'm going to replace all 6 side glasses as none are without some delamination along the edges-too bad. I'm giving some thought to giving a try at making at making an etching mask with the same info for the replacement glass. (Keep in mind if you go the etching route, the vent, door, and rear quarter windows are interchangeable, meaning that when you look at the driver's side glass, you can read the etched code from the outside looking in; and to read the passenger's side glass, you need to read the etched code looking from the interior of the car out.) The antique glass vendors seem to shy away from this sort of thing I guess due to attentions from LOF as to copyright, etc.

Have other owners found that the glass vendors' replacement tinted glass is true to the original color (green) of this glass?. I seem to remember replacing some tinted glass in a 50s car and not getting a good color match on the tint.

Martin Lum

53 Buick model 76X

My comments above are in (red).

My name is Al Malachowski and I'm tired of all the B.S. and approve this message. :cool:

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Got a set of side glass from Vintage Auto Glass, Billing Mt. Changed front glass,have not changed rear yet. Color is near identical. My rear glass is obviously old, but color very close.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the code?Can it be added after the fact? Didn't get mine coded, but would consider it in the future.

Hint:If you are changing the door channels(black fuzzy) do not operate your power window all the way up without a channel in the top of the door. It WILL chip the top of your new glass. Not that anyone would do such a silly thing.