What great finds did you make at Hershey 2012????

auburnseeker

Well we all know this thread will be started by someone so I'll start it. I got back Friday late and performed my annual ritual of laying out all my finds for a photo Saturday early afternoon.

I bought around 330 Pieces depending on how you count them. Much of it came from the Dollar and 5.00 piles. A few were the random take the whole box for X number of dollars.

I think this was the most stuff I have ever bought at Hershey.

I even found a few good parts I was needing for my own 48 Plymouth including a Good NOS rear bumper for less than the cost of plating mine which is bent anyways, some NOS dash chrome , a gauge cluster to fix mine with and the Plymouth plate in the top of the dash.

There were also a few wall hangers I couldn't pass up in the back row, a couple of parts books I didn't have at $15 each.

I even saw a bunch of good deals on parts I didn't buy but wish I had the car they fit.

What did the rest of you find while scouring the swap meet??post-43003-143139214012_thumb.jpg

Here's my list.

1. Nice grill for 47 buick. Complete with mustache bar. No dents, few scratches.

2. Radio for 47 with UICK buttons in great shape. B missing insert.

3. NOS dealer stock, right and left rocker panels, never installed 42-48 series 50 and 70 all. (when is the last time you saw one? much less both)

4. Right and left inner door moldings for 47 convertible. (top of doors)

5. Nice, used TP tools HVLP spray system.

6. Nice tool box set for checking voltage, dwell, timing, etc.

7. Door sills for my 47 76C.

8. Met many new friends, face to face, nice conversations, memories to last a lifetime.

Strangely enough, I scoured all of the fields and did not see one Whitaker Cable item! I collect them for unknown reasons......Matt

>Several Buick grill emblems to add to my collection. 1932, 1939, and 1941. All very nice but the 41 the best of the group.

> A great serving tray from late circa 1920 advertising in lithograph Kuntz's Cafe with automobiles parked in front of the cafe.

Awesome piece.

>An air cleaner for my 1938 Buick. Needs to painted but still a good piece.

>New Packard Sweatshirt. I'm a Buick guy but I got cold when the wind picked up on Friday.

:rolleyes:

Some other odds and ends not important to mention here.

Oh yes! My wife after getting separated in the crowd. Or was it because I was still walking and didn't stop.

:D

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Not much. If you have a Chevy, Ford, Packard, or Studebaker, the market was terrific. However, I have a 30 Buick and a 40 Olds. There was more than usual for 30 Buicks, but it was SWAG and not much of it, and items for 40 Olds were virtually non-existent. I also noticed that nobody seems to carry new or old oil pumps. Might be a place to corner the market.

We bought a bunch of NOS VW parts and stuff from a guy at the very far reaches of the Orange field. Wonder if the fact that VW vendors were listed under "Velie" in the program possibly had any effect on people not finding that stuff sooner???

A very cool thing that my wife found was an old bumper badge for "Exchange Club International," which was great since she is an Exchange club member--and an old car enthusiast at the same time!

I also bought a repro cast aluminum "Connecticut" plate topper, that I'll have some fun figuring out how to paint-detail.

Tons of fun showing our HPOF '73 Pinto Squire again this year in the Saturday car show!

Lastly (& most importantly), it was great to see and spend some time with lots of old car friends, some of whom we only see once a year at Hershey! Special shout-outs to forum regulars "charlier" and "stonefish"--and really enjoyed seeing your HPOF GTI, and "Superoo" race car, respectively!

Great job Hershey Region and AACA National!

Only one minor negative point I can think of at this time: Lots of speedy golf carts zooming thru the flea market--some driven by what I almost thought were AACA National officials. Saw a couple of "near misses" from this action--including one of my own, when I was walking out into the aisle at the side of a tall camper--the speeding golf cart miss was pretty close... Constantly having to move aside for golf carts being driven thru the Car Corral also (seemed like the golf cart people must've thought that the Car Corral was "the expressway" for getting from one side of the flea market to the other)...

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Anyone notice the handicapted cart towing the cart with the gas powered generator that powered it, and another cart for "stuff" ?

Did you also notice the electric fan he had, running off the generator, to cool the generator? A poor-man's hybrid...

Actually, that WASN'T the one - the one we're talking about had a generator in the first wagon behind the Rascal scooter, with a second wagon for parts tied to THAT one! We wanted to see the driver back that rig up!

West, the one I pictured was parked non-running beside a flea spot.

Speaking of generators, on the way to the show field Saturday morning, I came across a motor home with a very small generator on the ground in front of the rig. It was very quiet, sounded like a refrigerator running.

Guest Luke J N

Dave, My first time back to Hershey since 1976. I looked for a 1937 Buick8 grill emblem without any luck. When I checked with Bob's Automobilia he didn't have any repros either. Any suggestions for me. Thanks, Luke

Hi Luke:

Try Dave Lewis in Springfield Ill. He is considered the expert on 1937 and 1938 Buick Restorations. He's also the one that started the 1937-1938 Buick Club.

His link is below. I bought a new repo Emblem in August from him.

If not He can lead you to them.

Good Luck

Dave Lewis Antique Classic Car Restoration Springfield Illinois 62703

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

I purchased some new hubcaps for my collection, including an early Hudson, Buick, and Essex. I'm not quite sure of the dates on them so I'll try and figure that out via internet. I also got some cool new license plates for my collection, including a 1915 porcelain pair of PA plates that I'm extremely proud of! I'll try to upload a picture of my finds later.

Kool Exchange Club badge my wife found--she's already affixed it to her '63 Ghia!

post-34222-143139218565_thumb.jpg

Super-nice in-the-package pair of NOS "SWF" wiper blades for my '70 Bug:

post-34222-143139218572_thumb.jpg

Repro cast-aluminum plate topper from the home state (cheap but kool)--will have some fun figuring out how to paint-detail it:

post-34222-143139218575_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I admit, mostly just small trinkets--though my wife did also score some pretty serious NOS engine parts (crank, pistons & cylinders, VW-stamped muffler, black 6v coil, etc.), which I don't have pictures of.

I also don't have a photo of the big awesome cloth-wrapped Lebanon Baloney that we picked up at Dietrich's on our way home, that is now sitting in our refrigerator, getting the occasional slices cut off of it. Oh boy, gooood stuff!

Well our first trip to Hershey...

Unfortunately we did NOT find any parts we were looking for in regards to our 1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck (Huckster) we are working on. However we met many people, made a few new friends and was overwhelmed with the number of people, the Size of the Flea market, and the over all Hershey Experience. Was a great time. Car Show was awesome !! Kids did pick up a few souveniers they thought were COOL.

I did pretty good this year and found some great automobilia. Managed a few good spark plugs for the collection, some parts for the Model T Fords, took lots of great pics, saw lots of old friends. Susan found some neat MG goodies too. Here are a few of my photos of some items that came home with us this year. The pin is an advertising piece for Glide autos. The early race car game is a super addition to my collection. Always wanted one, never thought I'd have the chance! Love the small pins, buttons, fobs, etc. I'll have a few more pics added later.

post-30751-143139222116_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143139222125_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143139222144_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143139222162_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143139222183_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143139222203_thumb.jpg

Guest cigarsmoker

I didn't find any parts for the DeSoto with the limited time I had to walk the flea. What I did find was a very moving experience standing on the road with my 23 year old son watching 55 65 75 100 year old cars DRIVING past. I have been to Hershey a few times before, once with my son and never had enough legs left on Saturday to go. My son and I agreed for now on the show is the priority. Maybe some day we'll drive our car on the show field at Hershey. Pretty Cool.

I found an underdash wire cover for my MG TCs - these are rarer than hen's teeth. No one I know has ever actually seen one! Like engine splash pans, the first tmie someone needed to do work under the dash they had to undo 8 screws and maneuver the big piece of fibreboard out. Most were simply thrown away. This one was removed from a TC about 1952 and hung up in a garage. The son was cleaning ot the garage this year and brought this along. I was not looking for one, and have no idea why I even gave it a second glance. It is in good shape with all brackets for $25!

post-30937-143139224139_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of my other trinkets that came home from our trip to Hershey. I finally got around to taking a few more pics. I just love this bronze picture frame. It has faint hints of some coloring, has a wonderful patina and is in amazing condition. It's a perfect frame for this great picture of a pretty lady motorist, all decked out in her driving attire. i removed the glass so i could get a better photo. The other item I'm also posting in the Memorabilia forum and hopefully someone out there can give me some more info about it.

Terry

post-30751-143139237335_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143139237346_thumb.jpg

We did pretty good here. So far three days solid steady rain. Not torrential downpour, just steady, sometimes a drizzle. Winds have been pretty steady also at around 25-30Mph with gusts up to 45-50. No flooding in our neighborhood, but downtown Norfolk, Suffolk and part of Va Beach had some in all the usual spots. It's been nothing unusual actually. I've seen far worse. It's just slow moving and our biggest worry is the saturated ground. Trees here have shallow root systems and at this point really strong winds could topple them. From there is a domino affect - down come the power lines, etc. We've got five acres here, mostly in the woods. Just some limbs and twigs down, and of course we've now got a full dose of leaves on the ground that will need to be picked up. My new grass seed has probably washed away also. We never lost power here so have enjoyed the chance to clean the garage up getting ready for our annual MG Club Tech Session in November. We usually have a good crowd of folks tinkering with their cars, touring the "museum" and getting rides in the Model T. The weather has got to be better for that!

I know you folks up north are getting socked pretty good right now. I believe the storm was stronger when it hit there than when it passed here. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Terry

Hi,

Sandy has lost nearly all "her" energy here in Western NY. Cloudy day with some drizzles.

Back to Hershey finds.

Not a big find, but a rare one; a motor cylinder pet cock, Packard part # 101603. Unique to our 3rd Series Twin Six.

1/8 pipe thread, with a 30 degree opening on the cup end.

Probably paid too much for it, but will easily clean up for plating.

post-30916-143139239363_thumb.jpg

Guest Stonefish

Had a good year at Hershey...buying all kinds of stuff and it isn't always about car stuff. Picked up this vintage Dynamite Shack game...looked as if it was never played!

"exciting but perfectly safe" This thing is like a mouse trap!! :D

post-49045-143139241638_thumb.jpg