New '29 DA Dodge (to me anyway!)

Dodgenz

I have just bought a '29 DA. It seems pretty complete and fairly original. The dash has had an additional key and starter button (and perhaps more) added...not quite sure what is original and what switch/knob should do what. Is there a diagram available? Some things are disconnected.

It will be a while before I can probably get around to restoring it, but am on the look out for a few things: headlamp lens, sidelight lens, radiator(!), running boards... This forum looks great, I've already learnt loads. Thanks all!

post-88706-143139208659_thumb.jpg

I have just bought a '29 DA. It seems pretty complete and fairly original. The dash has had an additional key and starter button (and perhaps more) added...not quite sure what is original and what switch/knob should do what. Is there a diagram available? Some things are disconnected.

It will be a while before I can probably get around to restoring it, but am on the look out for a few things: headlamp lens, sidelight lens, radiator(!), running boards... This forum looks great, I've already learnt loads. Thanks all!

Originally there was no starter button, you would turn the key which was mounted directly in front of the coil and pull out one of the 4 control knobs on the dash to engage the starter.

Two different styles of headlamp lens and as you say sidelight lens and you will need to determine which is correct for your car, you can tell this by gathering the cars serial number and letting it be known here or thru a P.M to one of us. The information is also avail I believe in the parts book but again you will need to possibly find the correct book according to your car.

Whats wrong with the rad? Originally a honey comb design, best if needs replacing if you can afford it to put that back in as it looks correct.

Runningboards are avail as repros ( or were ) thru Romars.

Nice looking car, how about posting some more pict.

Hello Andrew, I began typing your response via P.M but realized I cannot attach pictures there so will post here.

Not sure whether I'm better to post this publicly or not but I thought I'd ask in person...re the headlights, my serial number is DA xxxxx. Does that tell you what sort of headlight lens I should have ? The lights themselves on it are Twolite (Twolight?), but having just plagued people at NZ's biggest swap meet for a matching lens I have now found out that mine appear to have been just cut from glass with lines in it! - therefore not genuine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Andrew

Hello Andrew DA # or car no # DA-1-DA-18612 used the Depress beam lens with matching cowl lens, DA # 18612- DA # 89269 used the two lite versions and DA # 89269 ( except 2 dr sedan ) up to DA # 123481 ( last DA ) went back to depress beam.

If you had Depress beam H/L than cowl lights would match. If you had two Lite than the same.

Two lites are difficult to find, or nearly impossible and I dont say that lightly. I am not even sure I have a set. I have some that are just a hair larger, and I mean a hair. I can get them to work but not easy. I plan to see about having the edges shaved if that is possible.

I would get a set of depress beams and use them but keep my eyes open for the correct lens.

This should give you what you need. There might be some feedback from other DA owners on these lenses, its not a cut and dry subject but this is what I have found to be true. Hope this helps.

post-48869-143139214281_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks for that Jason - that might explain why someone had some circles just cut out of window glass previously!

No problem, I guess I didnt think twice about posting your car number, sorry for that, maybe you didnt want it posted, I edited the last post so it does not reflect

No drama, it doesn't worry me. I was going to attach a picture to the PM also and then realised it doesn't seem to let you. Sometimes i'm not sure if everyone wants to bother reading people's one on one banter that doesn't necesarily have any actual car relavance - like this! - and therefore a PM is better...

A few more photos, from in the shed I'm afraid. But they shows the lights, as Twolite, plus a couple of other interior shots. I need another lens like the small one and two headlight lenses that would fit - so may look out for the Depress ones. Headlining, bar one small hole, is pretty good and seats except from the front squab aren't bad considering they look pretty original. Dashboard has added key and starter button, plus what looks like maybe an oil and ignition light on the left.

I'll add some more when it next ventures outside.

post-88706-143139220343_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220305_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220314_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220323_thumb.jpg

post-88706-143139220335_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures, what is in the center of the dash up top near the windshield, ashtray?

Looks like you need the thumbscrews or wingnuts that would operate the fold out windshield, you have two small boxes in the back mounted on the interior side trim, is one of them a vanity set and is there anything inside of it such as a comb, mirror, anything else?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest stephen48

There was a pair of DA Dodge headlights with lenses at the Canterbury swapmeet last Friday.The vendor had a lot of early lights and lenses for sale. He has also advertised them in "Beaded Wheels"magazine.Listed as Ian ph 021 754 656.

Guest stephen48
Was he up near the small shed where they normally have the bikes? I spoke to someone there for quite a while about lenses, and we went through his list but couldn't find two of the same. Must get my VCC memebership done too!

Not sure how I would describe where he was, more in the middle of the area you describe , but he had a large quantity of 1920 s 1930 s headlights mainly sitting on the ground but some on a table. His sign said he also had 4 boxes of headlight lenses as well but I did not see them.

Anyhow there was a pair of complete headlights marked Dodge DA sitting in the ones on the ground. They also looked like DA to me.That was Friday afternoon. I did not go back on Saturday due to rain.

If you ring the number in Beaded Wheels ad he will be able to tell you if he stiill has them.He is the guy that used to own Ajays V8 services until a couple of years ago. I bought a cowl light from him last year and he said a lot of his stuff came from the now defunct Gleesons Auto Wreckers in Napier that had been in business since 1939.

His advertisement lists the North Island swap meets he intends taking his stockpile to in the next few weeks !