Chrysler CD8 steering worm gear

Guest jensbond

Guest jensbond

Hello,

I restored a 1931 Chrysler CD8 racing car and did already a few races in Germany.

Unfoprtunable the steering worm gear is worn.

Did anyone know where to get parts or complete steering box ?

regards from Germany

Jens Blosze

Guest jensbond

post-88644-143139205654_thumb.jpg

Hello Rick,

the steeringbox looks like this.

Is it the one you have?

regards

Jens

Hello

If the steering box in a 31Chrysler CM is the same as a 31CD8 I can help you. I have one that is apart and appeared good.

regards from Canada

Rick VanOene

post-88644-143139205622_thumb.jpg

It looks like the one I have. I will check my cross reference book tomorrow and take a picture of the parts to send you. Do you have a part number? or a casting number? How long is the steering shaft? Would you want that with the worm gear?

Guest jensbond

Hello,

yes I would need the steering box with the worm gear.The shaft is about 1050 mm long.

Casting number ois : 19368 ?

regards from Germany

Jens

It looks like the one I have. I will check my cross reference book tomorrow and take a picture of the parts to send you. Do you have a part number? or a casting number? How long is the steering shaft? Would you want that with the worm gear?

post-88644-143139206267_thumb.jpg

Hello Jens

I have looked for the parts and come to the conclusion that the steering shaft with the worm gear as well as the steering wheel and tube were sold last year. I do still have the steering box with the other gear in it and the pitman arm shaft as well as the bearings. Would that be of any use to you? I notice that your steering box appears to be filled with grease. From my information, that creates dry cavities around the wear areas. There was a suggestion on this forum some time ago to use straight STP.

regards

Rick

Guest jensbond

Hello Rick,

I would need first of all the worm gear .

Thanks a lot for your support.

regards

Jens

Hello Jens

I have looked for the parts and come to the conclusion that the steering shaft with the worm gear as well as the steering wheel and tube were sold last year. I do still have the steering box with the other gear in it and the pitman arm shaft as well as the bearings. Would that be of any use to you? I notice that your steering box appears to be filled with grease. From my information, that creates dry cavities around the wear areas. There was a suggestion on this forum some time ago to use straight STP.

regards

Rick