Air conditioner malfunction in 1991 Buick Regal

Hi Guys,<P>I drive a used 1991 Buick Regal two door. It had about 60K miles on it and everything was working OK till last week, when all of a sudden my A/C seemed to stop working. Even when i turn it to max cold setting it stills pumps hot air. Not sure what the problem is. Need some help to figure if this is just a minor chnage og setting or some major repair with the a/c. Also the window glass towards thedruver side wont roll down. Any advice from anyone out there whose have had similar issue's is appreciated.<BR>Thanks in advance<BR>Alfy

• 3 months later...

1) Have some-one sit in your car, Locate your AC compressor under the hood.

If the AC is off the compressor should be steady.

The moment the AC is switched on you see the inside ring from the compressor revolving. If this is not the failure. You might be able to short two flow control switches, one is on the cooling line close to the compressor, the other one is locate all the way up, close to the passenger compartment.

2) sometimes the flowswitches opened and closed again, then you have to disconnect the carbattery wait two minutes and the management will have been reset.

Good luck

First thing is to have the state of charge checked in the system with gauges. If the charge is correct, then a electrical analysis is the next step. If the 91's are similar to the 92's in wiring, the compressor turns on through the ECM to ground, and this along with the pressure sensors, a/c control and wiring needs to be checked. GET A GM SHOP MANUAL!!! Do not probe the ECM connectors to ground as you could possibly do damage to the computer. If the charge is low, the system will have to be brought up to the correct state and then checked either with UV dye or a electronic leak detector. A real common problem in these cars of this model and vintage is the evaporator core will corrode and leak. In the mid to late 90's we replaced many of these (both customer pay and warranty) in the dealership I work at. My own '92 Regal had it's core replaced in '96 at around 50,000 miles. Also, check the condenser, compressor and other components for additional leaks as even though it's a low mileage car, time and the elements take their toll on these items.

Cannot advise you on retrofitting it to R-134A as I put R-12 back into mine both times we repaired it. Have heard both pros and cons regarding how well it would cool, and having access to R-12, went back to the original.

Good luck