I like my car better in the rain

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

Got out of work today to find it had rained profusely all night, and was still raining. I pulled the DS door handle of my 90 Reatta, and to my surprise, the dome light came on. This function hadn't worked since I bought the car. Driving over to school from work, I laid on the horn after being cut off, and to my surprise, the horn sounded. This has also been intermittent at best since I bought the car. I am confused. Does this have anything to do with the rain? If so, what does it mean?

On a side note, the bad coil DOES act up in the rain... A LOT. Stalled 3 times on the 20 minute drive over. I can't wait til this weekend when I can tear the ignition apart and put a new coil on it, fix the engine block ground, and hopefully get her running well again.

PD,

In addition to the relay, there are a couple of other things that interfere with the horn operation. If you take one apart you'll find that the contacts may be corroded to some extent which may be why it's working now in the higher humidity. Ambient moisture enabling better current flow. Also, you'll find that some type of foam was used as a spring and this foam breaks down over time and pieces can get in the way of the contacts. One more thing, the glue that holds the foam to other parts in the assembly degrades and lets go allowing the parts to flop around in there. You can take it apart and see if this is true. Extra fine steel wool can be used to clean the contact areas and an adhesive spray can be used to secure the foam "spring" in place. Just remember how it came apart. Draw a simple diagram, mark the parts or use your cell phone camera to take pics as you disassemble it. There is a grounding metal tab and a plastic connector to be concerned with. Be gentle with the wire connector. The plastic is old and not forgiving of any man-handling. Break the little tab off or crack the insertion tube in any way and you're screwed.

John F.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PontiacDude210

Thanks guys. I did have water in the floor pan at one point, but the splices are all in good shape and it's dry now. The steering wheel is in such sad shape I might end up replacing it and the horn button all at once. I will check the relay also. Any thoughts on the door?