Looking at a Reatta

Finfan1

This weekend I will be looking at a 89 Reatta. It looks like it needs paint, minor interior work (new carpet and armrest) and the current owner said it needs brakes and tires.

This would be a car I would drive about every other weekend. I have had many Buick's and always liked the look of the Reatta. The price is right on this car if it's mechanically sound.

I guess my question is - Any common problem with these cars? Something I should be looking for. Is this a difficult car to restore - getting parts and such?

You can fix anything that could go wrong with these cars. Might not always be the cheapest fix due to the fact that it is an electrically complex car.

Probably your biggest things to check are going to be:

~ CRT touch screen. Does it work? Does it work even when it warms up?

~ Headlights. Do the go up?

~ Gas gauge. Does it work?

Other than that, if the car is not rusty, and is mechanically sound, you're pretty much good to go.

Even then, if none of those items work on it, they can all be fixed without all too much trouble. Parts are available for sure. I and a few other forum members sell them.

Check out the car and report back your findings.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Welcome finfan1!

Trying to surmise if your moniker might mean your a Miami Dolphins fan which probably puts you in South Florida, or you just like fishing, or you keep aquariums as a hobby.

One thing to keep in mind is that while the Reatta is overall a well designed, well built and historically very reliable car, you will be getting into one at a point they (even very well maintained low mileage ones) are suffering from parts coming to the end of there useful life from age, usage, and or abuse.

Some items that are specific to Reattas or just Reattas and Rivieras only are unobtanium new. This forum is doing a great job of identifying them and coming up with solutions to these and other availability problems.

While the combined knowledge base of this forum is extremely good at assisting members in troubleshooting most all problems that come up, if you don't have some troubleshooting skills (particularly electronics), and don't have some tools and the ability to use them, then keeping one on the road can become an expensive proposition as shotgunning parts or trying to find an honest mechanic that knows how, or is even willing to work on one, gets old fast.

All this to the contrary, they are wonderful, unique cars with a hotly debated collector car status, and like a bad virus, once you have been infected you can never get rid of.

The previous owner said it needs brakes. Are the brake pads/rotors needing replacement or are the amber and red brake lights on in the instrument cluster? If they are on you could get lucky that it is only a $7.00 relay, it could be more then that. If the amber light is on it could be ABS brake sensor leads, accumulator, or pressure switch. If it is the red light it could be the afore mentioned items [minus the ABS leads],pump/motor or the entire Teves master cylinder. If either light is on I would make it a condition of sale that either it is repaired or deduct $500.00 from the prior agreed upon price. The $500.00 may be more then you need to address this issue, but why should you immediatly start paying for a repair that needs to be addressed?

Then when you get it home have a brake fluid flush done.

I have two Reattas and they are used as daily drivers. They have an excellant drivetrain, but just a few well documented quirks that a number of the guys here have addressed and that Ronnie has documented on his website.

Good luck!

As mentioned, the most expensive issue is glass (ususally windshield). In Florida if you have comprehensive insurance, a cracked windshield that inerferes with vision is a free repair (by statute) but many insurance companies will requiire inspection before covering.

The only rust I found was dime sized at the corner of the back window. I was surprised to see no rust and red paint under the car. Glass and seats are in good condition - arm rest needs to be replaced. Needs new carpet and the space behind the seats is very faded. This car needs to be painted the clear coat is coming off everywhere. The body doesn't have one ding or dent in it. It's looks like it's been outside for 20 years.

Car has condensation and very bad musty smell (stronger than most classic cars). So a seal is bad somewhere. The touch screen works but the image is not clear. He said when the car is dry on inside the image is clear.

Now the really bad part - the car wouldn't start. We tried for about an hour and then the car started to backfire so I thought it was best to stop. He said was running a few weeks ago when someone else was looking at it. I made no offer on the car but told him I was interested if he could get it running. My mechanic said it could be something simple or up to 400 to get it running - just his guess. It felt like it was going to start every time it would backfire. The check engine light was on but no abs or brake lights were on. He said it just needs front brakes.

They want 900 for the Reatta it would cost me 200 to have it towed to my house.

I was going to offer 700 - take it or leave it. I think the car is worth that and then I would just have to hope it wouldn't cost much to have I fixed.

Guest Corvanti
He said was running a few weeks ago when someone else was looking at it.

similar to the infamous classic car quote: "Ran when parked." :rolleyes:

unless you plan on doing all the labor yourself, i'd look for another. at $700, a decent exterior paint job alone would take you over the price of a nice driver. the moldy smell may be a bad piece of weatherstripping, or it could be a "flood" car.

the CRT, check engine light, his admission of bad front brakes - pads? rotors? brake lines? more?

yes, some of the vendors here could help you out on some of its interior parts problems.

i hate to say it, but this really sounds like a "parts car", unless you have deep pockets to bring it back!

just my $0.02...

it would be good to know the area you are living. some folks here may know of a reatta for sale near you! :)

Driving home I was thinking this car is close to a parts car and but I'm looking for a project. I have a 65 Mustang that I restored - interior and engine compartment but it only needed minor engine work and I had someone do the body work. But that car was so easy to work on and parts are everywhere.

I was just thinking if I can get this Reatta cheap the risk wouldn't be that bad. It could turn into a money pit or if things fall my way it could be a nice car. I'll keep looking

Thanks for the input

If you're interested, I've got a nice '89 that needs some minor restoration, but it's quite a nice car. Between the car, and the new parts/modifications I've down to it are worth way more then the asking price. I just need to move on. Too many Reattas. Check out my post in the buy/sell forum.