37' dodge brothers fire truck

Guest lowphat1

Guest lowphat1

im looking for new, or if anybody knows how to fix the knobs that are in the cab on the dash. they have what looks like a brass ring around the edge of the buttons and im assuming the center (made of paper) said clutch, throttle, etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any chance of seeing a photo of what you have left there on the fire truck?

The knobs for the '37 car are similar to the knobs I am familiar with on the '36 car but a bit darker in color. They are a celluloid plastic with a brass ring around the periphery that is nickel or chrome plated. Might they be similar to the truck dash?

Here is a photo of an original '37 Dodge car dash. The three ringed knobs at the bottom of the dash are the style that you need?

post-67404-143139199298_thumb.jpg

I had Don at D&D Automobilia in North Carolina recast knobs for my '36. They had to be cast with the rechromed rings inside the mould. The letters were installed after casting as the mould picked up the indent for the letters very well. All the refinishing work had to be done before the new knobs could be cast. The shafts had to be cast in place; kinda tricky to get them straight but the knobs came out very well. Not cheap but worth it to me! You will need decent knobs to make patterns! If interested ,his number is 336-429-2188.

Don can make almost any color combination you can think of even the marble effect. My knobs were so badly deteriorated that I could not get a definitive original color so I decided to go with a whiteish cream color and have all the knobs match. The only one I didn't have done was the ventilator knob as it was in pretty good shape. This was more of an experiment as he had never done any knobs with all the finish parts so it was a gamble as to how they would turn out but we were well pleased!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

I got to looking and you can just barely make out the word "choke" on the knob to the right of the key
I am thinking the color for the '37 stuff is pretty much like the color of the knob to the LEFT of the key. It is darker than the '36 stuff so that knob looks pretty close if you are trying for a particular color. They may be more like the ventilator knob in the photo I posted in #2. BUT, trucks are another thing! So my comments are just a guess (I guess)! :rolleyes: