1949 Roadmaster model 71, sedan 31,000 miles, runs, drives

Pete Phillips

I have put my 1949 Roadmaster sedan on Ebay this week with a low reserve price, and it will be a bargain given all of the work I have done on it recently, including four new whitewall tires and new torque ball seal and replacement manifolds. Buick : Roadmaster Roadmaster model 71 | eBay I hope the link works. This is a 31,000 mile car that was allowed to sit outdoors for years and years by the previous owner. Selling it only to get cash to make a bid for the rare 1951 sedanet that didn't sell last week--I may be too late for that, but doesn't hurt to try.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest shadetree77

The siren song of the sedanet was too much for you huh Pete? :) That is a beautiful car so I don't blame you. Did you notice he upped the price though? It was on there for $15k. Now it's listed $6k higher. Guess somebody told him he had something rare. Good luck! Let us know if you win her! I'd love to see some better pictures and maybe even see her in person at the 2013 Nationals.

Well Pete, as you know, my wife and l love the 49's and I talked to her about your car. She says she is going to hold out for a 49 Roadmaster convertible like the one she saw in Seattle. (so that's what she's planning on doing with my life insurance pay out when I'm gone ;-( )

Hope you can make the sale and be successful in your bid for the '51. Sure glad you didn't offer up another certain lil sedan from your fleet as I would be in the same shoes as you right now.

BTW, Pete is one of the fairest people I have ever known in pricing the cars he sells. He doesn't seem to ever consider the sweat equity he has in them when he has found them, gets them going or restores them and then decides he needs to part with them. He restored a 54 Roadmaster once and I could not believe what he sold it for, somebody stoled that car.

Thanks for the comments. The important thing, to me, is to improve each car I get, to make sure it gets saved, and to recover the cost of parts and supplies I've put into it.

I don't think the '51 sedanet is in my future. It's way beyond my budget now. I do not understand the seller's logic. If it gets no bids and does not sell at $15,000, then raise the price to $21,000....! Well, okay....if your house is burning, throw more gasoline on it (same logic). If your tires are worn, shave some more rubber off of them. If nobody can afford the products you're selling, raise the price! It's the same "logic". ?????

I think it says make an offer, too on the ebay site?

So the buy it now is 21k, one can offer what ever you think its worth to you. maybe 14 or 15k will be the best offer and it will sell.

The interior is a bit ragged on the driver seat, and the paint is worn and touched up on the dr rear fender ( from the prior pictures seen on this forum).

Guest paverrob08

Pete, on the same theme, the preservation of 1949 roadmasters, where can I find exhaust & intake manifolds to fit the 320 Fireball??

I ended up with two extra 320 exhaust manifolds, and one can be made useable if you will drill out two broken bolts and grind down some welding repairs that I made (center section); both end sections are very nice.

I do not have an extra intake manifold, but if you get on the buy/sell section of this forum, someone will probably respond. Also, Wheatbelt Auto Parts in Oklahoma might have a good used one.

Pete Phillips

Pete,

You should get the phone number of the '51 Buick seller and hold onto it.

Even though there are a lot of reasonably priced cars available through ads,

some sellers still have wildly optimistic expectations.

I've found that even a year after cars are advertised, some cars are still for sale--

and reality is finally setting in.

I know of a 1935 Buick Series 50 victoria coupe which a dealer has been trying to sell

for FIVE years! That one, however, is still 'way overpriced.

Patience, and watchfulness, may get you a '51 fastback---

Gee at the price it sold for I sure hope to God we don't start seeing a lot of 49 parts on sleazbay turn up. :eek:

BTW: Pete did you do all that in just 6-months yourself or did you employ your support garage staff to help out?

It took me about a year just to rebuild my compressor so I could spray some paint. I must be glacial in terms of movement or think too much like a depression child and just have to buy junk, JUST so I can spend 500 hours rebuilding a $ 800 obsolete piece of &%^$ and worth even less when finished. I never learn .... and I keep repeating the same routines over and over again. Probably because I'm always broke from buying junk to fix up, so to get it working I have to rebuild it cause I can't afford new! It is vicious circle. - "Yes I am a junkie"

Edited by buick man (see edit history)