rear end confussion

i have a 1981 buick regal limited. recently, i replaced the differential cover gasket. the rear end is a 8.75 carrier. i want to install either a 3.42 or 3.73 gear. The problem is that Summit & Jeggs have never heard of a 8.75 ten bolt rear end. Is this a rare rear end? If not, does any one know if they make a 3.42 or 3.73 gear for this carrier? If they do, which gear would you choose? The engine is a 350 olds bored out 60 over with a 280h comp cam, performer intake, headers, and an ausome head job.<BR>Thanks for any help you can provide.<P>Jon

Try this guy--I can't remember the name of his company, but he'll know for sure: <BR>Jay; 616-792-2776.<BR>I can tell you this: for a car that is going to be used on the street, go with factory gears. Aftermarket gears are cheaper, but they're also make more noise--a factory gear isn't going to whine or howl. Not only do the auto manufacturers have a ton more money to put into engineering, their customers wouldn't stand for howling rear ends. But it will be more expensive, but if the rear end is still in production, it won't be too bad.<BR>-Brad