1968 Wildcat engine rebuild

Guest jtotheb

Guest jtotheb

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help I have a 1968 Wildcat which is my pride and joy unfortunately the oil pump failed and the engine has siezed so its a rebuild what I,m missing is a workshop manual being based in the UK its not something Ican get hold of easily what I need are a few images of how the timing chain fits including the tensioner as there seems to be bits of plastic and the chain came off without unbolting anything, also I need the torque settings etc anything that would help in the rebuild, any help would be greatfully appreiciated thanks in advance

Check out the www.wildaboutcarsonline.com website. Head over to "Brand Central -- Buick" and click on "factory publications", then follow the links to the particular model year and then to the several files of sections of the Buick service manual. It's all scans of an original manual. You can download and save the particular files for future reference.

It does take registration to get into the website, but it's free and takes just a few minutes. LOTS of neat stuff in there!

Great looking cars!

NTX5467

The original timing cam gear had nylon teeth overmolded on an aluminum gear. This was done in an attempt to quiet down the gear set. These nylon teeth are notorious for becoming brittle with age and falling off ending up in the oil pan and loosening the chain in the process in turn reducing performance. It sounds consistent with the condition you have explained. There is no tensioner on the timing chain. When you install a new timing gear set, the tension will be perfect. Note the new replacement sets will be steel.

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help I have a 1968 Wildcat which is my pride and joy unfortunately the oil pump failed and the engine has siezed ...

Please tell us a bit more about the engine seizing. Seized to me means, you cannot spin the engine over, at all. Since you have the timing chain off, please tell us if you can rotate the crankshaft by putting a breaker bar on the nut that would hold the harmonic balancer on? Since the timing chain fell off you are going to have to rotate the crankshaft in order to align the new timing chain set. And if you can spin the crankshaft then chances very good that you do not need to rebuild the engine.

I think y'all might be forgetting about the possibility of bent valves, if the timing chain failed with the engine running. A definite possibility, more on some engines than others, though . . . even if the crank will still turn.

To me, if the crank will still turn, that means the bottom half of things might be fine, but the heads and such might need some attention. If you get it restarted after the timing chain and cam sprocket is replaced (with a steel cam sproket, as mentioned, replacing the factory nylon-style item . . . which generally failed at about the 80K mile range on many GM vehicles) and the engine runs rough and has definite "misses", then a compression check might reveal the valve issue. OR you could just go ahead and pull the heads (for good measure) for a general information check. This way, you'll probably see some definite "marks" on the tops of the pistons IF valve/piston contact indeed took place . . . or absence of them. I think I'd do the "get it running again" operation and go from there. (fingers crosssed!)

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Guest jtotheb

well Guys took the bottom end apart needs a crank regrind plus shells, lots of sludge on the bottom of the oil pan so I'm guessing a new refurb kit for that, haven't taken the heads off but that's the next thing, waiting for a quote from an engine builder today who can do the machining etc I'll keep you updated

Guest jtotheb

Thanks,

just got a quote for a rebuild but I will need to supply the parts I was wondering if any of you Guys could recommend a good engine parts supplier in the United States,I have seen a couple on ebay but its always good to get a recommendation.

Most machine shops have a source for parts. Start there and if they can't get it check with NAPA, which still has alot of old parts at decent prices (stay away from Rare Parts branded items like from Advance auto parts --- 3x the cost). Egge Machine will have everything you need, but somewhat pricey, slow shipping and hard to return incorrect items.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jtotheb

Hi Guys, just had a call from the engine rebuilder its not good it needs a rebore new pistons new cam etc basically a master kit, can anybody recommend which parts/kits to buy ie which manufactures etc any help greatly appreciated

Guest jtotheb

problem I have is that I,m based here in the UK but I guess I'd like to keep that engine as its the original engine it left the factory with but your right a 455 would be cool!

For every part you will need, I would contact TA Performance. TA Performance Products Inc. - Your Leader in Buick Automotive Parts and Accessories is the link to their website. In my opinion, it would be worth the cost of a phone call to them to explain your situation (overseas, shipping, etc.). Have your rebuilder get a list of parts you will need and call them. Ask to talk with Mike (the owner) and tell him I sent you. He's a great guy.

Added in edit: You do NOT want to go over .030 overbore on the cylinders. Mike has all the specifications your rebuilder needs to follow (this is a BUICK and not a Chevy - all the bearing/ring gaps/etc clearances are different and MUST be adhered to). If, for example, you set your bearing clearances to chevy specs, you will ALWAYS have low oil pressure

Edited by Brad Conley (see edit history)