slow 6 volt starter

mikes31rscoupe

Hello,

I have a 1931 Pontiac where the starter turns over very slowly. Battery is new. This is a 6 volt system. Can the starter be tested. The car has always started slowly. Sometimes after a few revolutions, it speeds up in the starting process probably because some of the pistons are firing? Any help?

First thing you need to do is to check all connections and cables for corrosion and to make sure that the cables are of the proper six volt size. After you do this you can start to check out the starter.

I agree. If cables are too small , replace them. Hot cable should be as big as your thumb.

Ben

In addition, when all of the above is up to snuff, I have seen starters turn slowly when resistance builds up between at the starter end plate where the grounding brushes rivet to it. They ohlm out fine, but under load there is resistance.

Suggest using a volt ohm meter directly on the starter terminal and monitor the voltage while starting the car. It should read 5.0-5.5 volts. You have to expect at least 0.5 to 1.0 volt drop through the cables and switch. If you get a reading of 4.0 volts or less, then check the cables and connections. All connections must be soldered and cable sized at least 1 0 (1 OTT). If you are getting at least 5.0 volts, then suspect the starter unit needs to be overhauled. Field windings may have shorted together or as suggested, brushes and their connections may be the culprit. Also monitor the voltage at the coil while starting. The same applies. If the voltage is low (3-5 volts) while starting then it will be weak spark. This will depend where the coil lead is connected