Vintage "Wig Wag" tail lights?

Guest John.McMaster

post-30776-143139195732_thumb.jpg

It was an accessory tail light first made available in c1935 on 1936 model year cars. The first image shown above is from the box they came in and the second from the 1936 Studebaker Parts and Accessory News. Studebaker, I believe, was the only company that offered them as an accessory and those sold by Studebaker had a Studebaker tag. I have been told that another car company offered them but have not been able to verify this. In any event those sold by Studebaker had their name on the oval tag on the front. Those sold through general parts houses usually had the name DUA SAF on them but I have seen some that do not have any tags. The Shrock Brothers of Coal Port, PA have reproduced the Studebaker tags. There are quite a few restored Studebaker who have the Wig Wags. They were available from Studebaker for three model years 1936 1937 and 1938.

post-30776-143139195716_thumb.jpg

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

post-30776-143139195745_thumb.jpg

An addendum to my previous post on the Wig Wag. There was a "cheap imitation" made with the same name as shown above. Not sure of vintage but probably the '30s also. A friend of mine paid a handsome sum for one of these thinking he was getting the type shown in my first post only to be disappointed. If you are going to pay a lot of money be sure to get pictures first! Incidentally I did not mention earlier that these characteristically bring over $300 if restorable and more than that if in very good condition. Most do not come with the bracket or the vacuum unit.

As am addendum, Hudson also offered these from my knowledge beginning in 1936, actually replaced the trunk mounted taillamp unit. I find myself in need of the vacuum switch for a set of these Ihave added to my 35 Dodge. By the way one lamp says Dua Saf, the other has no tag holes. I imagine the Studeguys have come up witha suitable replacement switch or know of originals. I would really like to get these working. Thanks, Rob

Hudson was the car that I had heard offered them but was never able to confirm. Does anyone have a copy of a Hudson accessory catalog that shows them? I doubt whether they ever placed a Hudson tag on them like Studebaker did? I will check with some of my friends who have operable Wig Wags on their cars to see how they made them work.

I looked at a Studebaker that had these "Wig Wag" and the owner used Skinner industrial solenoids as vacuum switches.

A 120 AC coil supposedly works fine on 6 Volt DC. (counter-electromotive force etc).

I may have some of these solenoids if I can find them in my junk. http://www.parker.com/literature/Fluid%20Control%20Division/CAT%2024_7%200904.pdf.

Anyone interested in trying this?

Robert Kapteyn

Guest 37Dictator

Vintchry...The Vacuum Switches are hard to come by I have only seen them once on Ebay..I was going to make one until I heard that Shrock Bros have used a 6V Solenoid out of Washing Machine or Dish Washer and mounted it at the back of the car and connected the Power lead to the Brake Light Wire. The Vacuum Hose runs to the switch so the length of hose is short from the Switch to the Wig Wag Light or Lights [if 2 are used]. The Wig Wag Lights respond very quickly when the brakes are applied. I am currently restoring one of these lightslights for my car. I contacted a company in the US and had 5 [minimum order] Gem 6V solenoid valves custom made. The Valve body is 1 dia x 2" high and the hose is connected using brass hose barbs that screw into the valve body. A simple L shaped bracket can be made to attach to an existing hole in the frame at the back of the car . If you are interested I can sell one of these valves to you as I will not need all of them. Let me know if you are interested .

post-67899-143139200761_thumb.jpg

post-67899-143139200958_thumb.jpeg